Making Biscuits From Scratch

Due to the Coronavirus and having to stay at home, we are making less trips to the grocery store, therefore, I'm not buying as much sliced bread as I have in the past.

I pulled out an old recipe for biscuits and made a big batch and froze all but what we needed for a few days. I think this is going to be cheaper than buying sliced bread. They are great for anytime you want biscuits or for making toast for breakfast. Just cut in half and put butter on them and toast in toaster oven. If you don't need to make this many biscuits, the recipe can easily be cut in half.

Anyone want a sausage and egg biscuit for breakfast?

Yield: 70 biscuits

• 8 cups sifted self-rising Snow Flake flour
  • 6 tsp baking powder
  • 4 tsp sugar
  • 14 Tbsp Crisco shortening
  • 4 cups buttermilk

1. In a large mixing bowl, mix flour, baking powder and sugar together.
  2. Advertisement

3. Add Crisco shortening and mix together with your hands until well blended.
  4. Advertisement

5. Add buttermilk and stir together until mixed well. The dough will be sticky.
  6. Advertisement

7. Add a little flour at the time until you can handle it.
  8. Advertisement

9. Spoon drop them on ungreased baking sheet or roll them out and cut with a biscuit cutter (you will need to add a little flour to the dough mat for rolling)
  10. Advertisement

11. Place on ungreased baking sheets.
  12. Advertisement

13. Bake at 450 F until browned, approximately 10-13 minutes.
  14. Advertisement

15. Freeze left over biscuits.
  16. Advertisement

17. To reheat, place frozen biscuits on a baking sheet. Start in a cold oven and set temperature at 450 F. Bake for approximately 10 minutes or less until hot all the way through. They will taste like freshly baked biscuits.
  18. Advertisement

Hoe cakes can be made of flour or corn meal. The name derived from the early American practice of putting a small amount of dough on a very clean hoe blade and placing the blade atop hot coals or stones in the fireplace.

It took me about 50 years to discover the "secret" to nice flaky biscuits. When the recipe tells you to cut the butter into the flour, I have "my way" which makes the recipe almost a never fail.

If you want your biscuits to be crusty, then you have to spread them several inches apart on the baking sheet. If you let them touch then, they'll be soft.

When splitting hot biscuits (or hot rolls) to add butter, instead of cutting with a knife, push the tines of your fork into the biscuit (or roll) around the middle, then pull apart.

Don't buy the expensive biscuits in the tube from the cooler at the grocery store. Make your own from scratch! Saves money and tastes much better too.

13 Questions

My biscuits have cracks on top of them. What am I doing wrong? I use White Lily flour, crisco shortening and buttermilk.

Vickie Jo from Clarkesville, GA

Answers

By Shonda From Western Ky (Guest Post)

I always put butter, or oil on top of my biscuits. They brown very well on top. Be sure you pre heat the oven first.
Good Luck

By Debbie Columbia, Sc (Guest Post)

Hi, I used to manage a biscuit breakfast place. An old lady who worked there was from Tennessee, said to rub the tops of the biscuits with butter. We used melted butter with a brush. If you do it right when they come out of the oven it makes them soft on the top.

By Susie from Buckhead, GA (Guest Post)

everybody loves my biscuits and here's my recipe--

1 stick of margarine-cold-right from the fridge
2-3 C of self rising White Lily flour
blend this with a pastry blender or two knives.
pour in enough buttermilk in to the mixture holds its shape to form a loose ball. It will be a soft dough.
Tear off a piece of wax paper large enough to spread dough. Dust generously with flour. place dough on floured wax paper, dust dough liberaly with flour. Cut out biscuits with a round cutter(I use a small can that I've cut the bottom out of. I learned this from my Greatgrand mother when I was a little girl. She was a great cook,) Place your biscuits on a dark baking pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. I use buttered flavored. Spray a bit of butter spray on top too. I bake my biscuits in a hot over and watch them closely. 450* oven until the bottoms are good and golden brown. I then turn on my broiler and brown the tops. This makes them crunchy on bottom and soft in the centers. I have a friend who every so often I go to her house and make a huge batch, she freezes them and bags them up and she has her "Susie" biscuits any time she wants them. What are friends for?

By glinda (Guest Post)

You're putting too much shortening in the biscuits, and/or you're letting them rise too much while making them. Probably too much shortening. Cut back, and also, a little tip we found out, keep your flour in the freezer, so it will be cold while making the biscuits, then they don't rise so much ahead of time. We buy flour in bulk when we found this out. And kept it in the freezer.

By Eloise Searle Gulick, Franklinville NYS (Guest Post)

Take all of the above suggestions into consideration and use Canola oil. Healthier for you. I make mine in a 9X12 pan anymore cause I am lazier as I get older. Can cut them to "your" size. I call them pan biscuits. As long as they get eaten. :-)

I remember my Mom making homemade biscuits and gravy. She always cut the biscuits out using the open end of a glass. She would
always pour a little oil in the bottom of a pan and coat both sides of the biscuit as she laid it in the pan. They were always PERFECT!
There are 8 of us kids left.. we all say no one cooks like Mom did! :)

I agree, brushing them with butter is a must. Also, I think you need to be sure the dough isn't too dry or overworked. Bake quickly in a hot oven.

Cheryl
http://www.2ewenique.com

Answer this Question

I have everything to make homemade biscuits, but no shortening, lard, or butter. I do have margarine and oil.

By momss

Does anyone have a recipe for biscuits from scratch. That comes close to what Bisquick makes.

Doreen from Indiana

Answers

By Becky (Guest Post)

The back of the Dixie Lilly self-raising flour package has an excellent recipe.

A recipe for homemade bisquick at this link.
www.thriftyfun.com/tf747410.tip.html

I have never made bisquick biscuits, but here is my from scratch recipe that we use all the time. I usually double the recipe because my family loves them.

Easy Drop Biscuits
2 c flour (can use 1c white, 1c whole wheat)
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 c milk or water
1/4 c oil
Mix dry ingredients, then measure water or milk in the same container at the same time, then dump into the center of the dry ingredients. Stir just until blended, if they are a bit powdery this is just right. Drop large scoops of dough with a soup spoon onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a 425 degree oven for 20 minutes. You can pat the biscuits to shape them, but my family likes the crispy edges that come from leaving them untouched-up. The insides are fluffy and light. These are absolutely best straight from the oven, but they keep alright on the pan with a dish towel over them or in a zip lock bag left open to retain some crispness (after they are totally cool).

I have also made gravy using 2 cups water, 2 tsp bullion (or whatever is suggested on the package) and 1/2 cup flour. Stir together and heat in a sauce pan until thick and bubbly, season with pepper to taste.

Answer this Question

Can I mix the ingredients for biscuits and bake them later, just before dinner?

By Kay

How do you make homemade biscuits from scratch?

By Natalie from Dunwoody, GA

Answers

Dear Natalie,
Go to this site : www.southernplate.com. There is a recipe for "scratch" biscuits. There is also a tutorial (with pictures) for the biscuits. This makes it easy for a first-timer to follow each step. And you'll know how your dough is supposed to look during each step. Lots of luck!

Personally, I use White Lily Flour and Crisco shortening. White Lily is made from soft winter wheat. Guess it is a "southern thing". My mama always used White Lily, as do most folks I know. Now you'll need to make some crock-pot apple butter to put on those biscuits.

Answer this Question

This is a page about making homemade biscuits. Homemade biscuits are delicious and easy to make.

Biscuits on White Background

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 5

These delicious biscuits are great for breakfast or with a main dish for supper. This page contains buttermilk biscuits recipes.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes
Food and Recipes Food Tips BakingJune 15, 2013
📓
😷
🌻
🎃
🎂
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Making-Biscuits-From-Scratch.html