Homemade Bisquick Mix

This a good master mix to use in place of Bisquick and saves money to boot.

• 4 1/2 cups unbleached flour
  • 2 Tbsp. sugar
  • Ad
  • 1 1/4 cups instant powdered milk
  • 1 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 cup baking powder
  • 1 cup shortening

Whisk together all of the dry ingredients. Place half of the dry mixture and half of the shortening into a food process. Process until combined. Repeat for second half of ingredients. Combine both batches in a big bowl and work with your hands, breaking up any larger pieces.

Store in a covered container and use within a month. To measure, use the same scoop and level method you would use with regular flour.

Note: In hot weather, especially if your kitchen is not air conditioned, mix should be kept in the refrigerator.

Source: Amanda's cooking blog

By Elaine from Belle Plaine, IA

Top Comment

I must have at least a half dozen of these homemade mixes, and I've found them all to be just as much like Bisquick as is possible. My kids enjoy making their own pancakes when they're home, and this is a good and fast way to get the job done. I've never been one to use very many boxed mixes, but I do like making my own. Much, much cheaper for sure.

Thank you for sharing yours with us.

Top Comment

This one makes a smaller batch:

1 cup flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon Crisco

Mix dry ingredients together, then using a pastry knife cut the Crisco into the mix. Makes 1 cup Bisquick equivalent.

I am keeping this recipe in case I ever do need to use Bisquick! Thanks so much for sharing Elaine! :-)

Bisquick Mix Recipe
Homemade Bisquick Mix Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Copycat Convenience MixesFebruary 18, 2011
Chex Mix
Homemade Chex Mix Recipes
Bowl of salsa with ingredients in background.
Dry Salsa Mix Recipes
A bottle of homemade salad dressing.
Making Italian Salad Dressing Mix