Freezing Scalloped Potatoes

I would like to know if you can freeze scalloped potatoes. I do make mine low fat; I use non fat milk, butter buds and sometimes I use unflavored soy milk or unflavored rice milk. You can't even tell the difference.

This is funny though - If my husband knows I'm cooking this way he complains! But if I don't tell him I use this type of recipe, he says "Now this is the way I want you to cook all year round! See how much better food tastes when you use real butter and real milk?!"

I think it's a scream! He's diabetic and has heart disease so I have to try to cut back where I can because he won't follow his doctor's advice about what to eat (or what not to eat).

Thank you!

Smoochie

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Hi, I froze scalloped potatoes and the potato's turned black and mushy. I tried every kind of way and had to accept the fact that potatoes do not freeze well, I had some mixed results with mashed. Your biggest problem is convincing him to eat healthy foods.

If you are the main cook in the house, I would suggest some sneaky ways for a while. You can mix whole wheat pasta with regular pasta for a while and wean him off regular pasta. If it is combined with a white wine, herb, and no fat no salt chicken stock (Sauce) for a while he will get used to a new way to eat!

Grill or broil chicken breast with lemon and herbs. If the food is not bland he will like it better. Carbs and fat will kill him quickly. If he must have red meat, bison steaks are Tasty and low fat! I would trick him into eating healthy for a while. Explore the health food stores. Splenda has lots of recipes for no sugar baking as well. And it tastes good too! Best of luck!

Sure you can freeze them. I freeze potatoes all the time. With scalloped potatoes; cook them until they are almost done then let them cool before putting them in the freezer.

I freeze mashed potatoes all the time.I put them in zip-lock baggie, mash flat and push air out. BX Barb ,if potatoes are not cooked all the way, might be your problem. OR air getting to them, that's why baggie. Try one of these, it might be it. To heat up use micro (covered), taste like fresh.

I freeze them in one or two serving sizes. It's wonderful to have a great side dish when you're cooking in a hurry. I freeze mashed potatoes too.

I've got one of those men at home too who insist on the real thing but don't ever seem to miss it!

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Food and Recipes Freezing VegetablesOctober 28, 2008
Freezing Potatoes, Potatoes on white background
Freezing Potatoes
Hands Holding Freshly Harvested Potatoes
Harvesting Potatoes
Scalloped potatoes in an old blue enamel bowl, on rustic white table.
Scalloped Potatoes Recipes
Dish of mashed potatoes.
Freezing Mashed Potatoes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 20, 2016 at 12:33:48 PM on 10.0.1.163 in 969 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.