Directions to Make Dishrags

Does anyone have directions or a pattern to make dishrags? My sister used to make them for everyone. She has passed and I thought I would continue . Thanks.

Cathy from Boardman, Ohio

November 15, 20080 found this helpful ... erns/dishrag_and_magazine_photo.html

My mom makes these all the time - I think my siblings and I each have more than will last us the next 5 years!

Here is the one I do all the time. Cast on 4 stitches. Turn. Knit 2, yarn over, knit to the end. Continue this until you have 43 stitches on the needle. Next knit 2 together, yarn over, knit 2 together, knit to the end. When there is only 4 stitches left, cast off. You can hand crochet a string and then attach the end to form a loop. This is used to hand up the dishcloth. Hope this helps. If you don't understand the instructions as I have put here feel free to e-mail me at ritaannette AT

To crochet, chain 24 using a J-K hook. hdc in both loops until dish cloth is square or desired size. I also make washcloths using same pattern but sc in back loops only. It makes a really nice soft face cloth. Be sure to purchase 100% cotton yarn. Everyone loves getting these for gifts and they take less than an hour to whip up while hubby watches sports. Have fun!

I make mine from cotton postal string or what they used to call butcher string, and I just use a J hook and a granny square pattern and just keep going until it is the size that I like. Made these for Christmas gifts for all the gals at our doctor's offices one year, and they loved them. If they get a little dingy looking with use, just soak them in Bleach water, and they look like new again.

Harlean from Arkansas

Crafts AdviceNovember 15, 2008
Finding Patterns for Knitted Wash Cloths
Man with a sore mouth.
Caring for Your Gums After a Tooth Extraction
granulated and cube sugar
Fixing A Recipe with Too Much Sugar
yellow pom pom
Making Yarn Pom Poms