Cleaning a Narrow Necked Glass Decanter

If a bottle brush can't fit into the opening of a narrow-necked vase, try this hint my mother used: Put several broken eggshells into the vase and then add a bit of water. Place your hand over the opening and shake the vase until you can see that the dust and film has come off. Rinse well.

By JodiT from Aurora, CO

I will have to try this! What I do is not as cool but it usually works for me. I use a chopstick with a cottonball fastened with a twiet-tie or a small rubberband. This is usually a small enough implement to clean the container.

The chopstick w/cottonball sounds like a winner! I will have to try it!

Anonymous

Amazing. I tried and tried to clean the rust from inside a small crystal vase, no luck. Came across this egg shells remedy instant fix. Wow. Crystal clear, no pun intended. Thanks for the great tip.

I have a very deep crystal decanter and it is impossible to clean the inside. I have even I put rice and vinegar and shaken it or put a cloth in it. The cloth couldn't go to the upper part of the lower wide part of my decanter.

There is (I guess) a water/lime stain that needs to to be wiped with something, but that is impossible to reach. I am looking for some kind of liquid cleaner that can be shaken inside it or some other ways to clean it. Thanks.

By decanter from Los Angeles, CA

Answers:

Cleaning a Narrow Necked Glass Decanter

You should be able to go to a restaurant supply, or even a chemical supply company and get a long handled bottle brush to fit. Flasks used in chemistry often are long and narrow. A beer or wine making store might have such a thing too.

Another way to clean inside an object is to use table salt with just a little bit of water. It will scrape against the side. I might use both of these methods together to get it crystal clear.

Good Luck! (10/06/2009)

By jess

Cleaning a Narrow Necked Glass Decanter

You can also use a denture tablet or two and fill with water. That is a good cleaner! (10/06/2009)

By aitkin

Cleaning a Narrow Necked Glass Decanter

Try denture tablets (10/07/2009)

By lhendri479

Cleaning a Narrow Necked Glass Decanter

Bartender's or Barkeeper's Friend is another suggestion. Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot all carry it. (10/08/2009)

By mizgwen

Cleaning a Narrow Necked Glass Decanter

I recently bought a bottle brush for wine flutes at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. I think if you used something like that combined with white vinegar, it should come clean. (10/10/2009)

By crazyliblady

Cleaning a Narrow Necked Glass Decanter

Try putting some dishwashing powder (for a dishwashing machine) in water in the bottle and leave for a day - make sure there is enough water to reach the stain. Shake occasionally. Failing this, you could try the same method using bleach and water. Good luck (10/10/2009)

By merry50

Cleaning a Narrow Necked Glass Decanter

Another method is sand - either from a sandbox or even the gravel for fish tanks with water to swish - should be good exercise! You might combine also - the denture tablets and some sand. Good luck (10/10/2009)

By 2oma

Cleaning a Narrow Necked Glass Decanter

Definitely try denture tablets - I just cleaned my stainless steel coffeemaker carafe (which I thought had a black lining!) using 3 denture tablets. I was amazed at the crud that came out and that the insides were shiny and silvery! Also the Dollar Tree stores sell bottle brushes in the baby section, only a dollar! Good luck, Nancy in NC
(10/13/2009)

By NokomisNims

Cleaning a Narrow Necked Glass Decanter

Did you try CLR? That might work. Then, to get it dry, try my tip posted.

A quick and easy way to dry the inside of bottles or decanter that can't be dried with a brush or rag on the inside is to take about 3/4 cup of quinoa grain and swirl it around the inside of the bottle. It will absorb the moisture, and not leave any residue. Quinoa is a grain-like berry and is very absorbent to do this task.

(04/09/2010)

By tecolote from San Diego, CA