AdviceGardening

Can a Dandelion be Several Feet Tall?

Monster dandelion, it's taller than me. How? Why? Please help.

By Cheryl from Washington, DC

Would you mind posting a picture of the plant? Doesn't sound like a dandelion, but some other plant species. Only place I can remotely imagine a dandelion growing that tall would be in the rain forest regions and nobody has ever shown one that large.

I submitted a picture with my original post and was surprised when it wasn't displayed.

Here is a picture. I'm just under six feet tall and I am looking up to see the top of the plant (see the white door just behind it?).

It is clearly a dandelion. The stems are thicker than my finger. I am afraid it is going to try to eat the house!

Later, I will post a close-up picture of the yellow flowers and the white fluffy ones when they go to seed. Ironically, they are slightly smaller than the normal dandelion flowers. It sounds like I need to call my local agricultural experts.

a thistle

I have similar growing I my garden, it's about 5 foot tall. I thought it was a dandelion too as it has the thick hollow stems and yellow flowers thought the petals don't protrude as much as the dandelion.

I was just looking at a plant like that but not as tall. It has a milky substance when it's broken which is supposed to be a pain reliever. Strong as a drug of some kind that is abused. Can't remember the name, opeum maybe if I spelled it right. I always use dandelion as medicine. It even helps me sleep.

The plant with the milky substance is milkweed, it's the only plant the monarch butterfly has as its good source. Don't rub your eye, it will burn.

Not a dandelion. Flowers grow close to ground and are large, round and yellow, and have white puffy seed heads after blooming. The stem is hollow and could never stand upright if that tall.

This is considered a weed in my area. A fancy term is wild flower. I will try and see if I can locate the name of this plant life.

I am from Minnesota and we call it a sow thistle. If it is a thistle, it should have stickers on it and you would have to wear gloves to dispose of it.

Looks and sounds like Cat's-ear to me, or Hawk's-beard, but I've NEVER seen them that tall! Try looking up Hypochoeris radicata and Crepis biennis perhaps you have a giant version!

Marg from England

It looks like prickly lettuce very hard to get rid of. I wouldn't let it go to seed as

you will have it all over and will never get rid of it.

Cresses is the wild plant's name....growing all over pastures in OH right now. Has small multi yellow blossoms

I have one thats over 7 feet tall

Prickly lettuce, aka milk thistle. It has been very aggressive in the US these past couple of years.