Use for Crystal Light Canisters

Category Reusing
Crystal Light Canister
Many food packages are perfect for reusing in crafts or for other types of storage. This is a guide about use for Crystal Light canisters.

The large containers for crystal lite and such are a great holder for crochet hooks and nuts and bolts. The bottle of wine holders that everyone is selling is super for knit needles.

By CHEAPERTHANCHEAP

I save the containers for Crystal Light and use them to store beads, buttons, wire, and more.

By jmscrochet from Peabody, MA

You can cut the canister down to whatever size you need and the lid will still fit. My brother showed me this the other day. He gave me an assortment of drill bits and put them in a little plastic holder. When I asked him where he got it, he said he cut it down from a Crystal Light canister.

I always wondered what I could use them for because I hated to throw them away, but they had limited use since they were tall. Why didn't I think of that? Now my brother thought of it and I'm sharing it with you.

Source: My brother

I am on Nutrisystem and using Crystal Light like it is going out of style. Any ideas on what to do with the containers? They are a nice weight with a lid and other then storing little things in I just can't think of something else to do with them. Perhaps some craft ideas? I sew, do machine embroidery and a lot of crafting, so can tackle most anything.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Another great use for these containers is to clean them up, remove the wrappers ect... and use them as tall drink tumblers for outside/or inside. I use mine to take out to my swimming pool and I and also put the lids back on to keep from spilling the drinks to and from the house to the pool.

I use the canister containers that 'Crystal Light' comes in for freezing soups, etc., in small serving sizes, to take to neighbors and other shut-in pals.

By Terri H.

Crystal Light containers are very handy in my husband's shop area. The labels slice off very easily, and we use computer printable labels to make storage containers for larger than normal bolts, nails, etc. They would be great for crafts, beads, etc.

By Julie

Cover with contact paper, or even glue on the Sunday Funnies, to make a pencil or crayon box for your child! If the child is old enough, this would be fun for the child to do!

I saved a bunch of the Crystal Lite powder cups and for my daughter's 11th birthday we did a makeover party where the girls played in makeup and hair stuff and then did facials, etc. In their goodie bags we gave each of the girls a personalized handsoap. I bought several bags of little charms that said "friends" on them and some glycerin soap wax and fragrance and made hand soaps using the Crystal Lite cups as the molds. I lined the cups lightly with Vaseline to help them come out easier. I filled them halfway, then laid the charm in there and then filled the rest of the way full. We laid on counter to set up and dry overnight and then wrapped each one in plastic wrap. The girls loved them!

1. I saw on a tv show once where they used those sheets of suede and glued on to a juice can and made them look manly for Father's Day. They cut a circle of felt to fit into the bottom to keep the pens and pencils from making so much noise on the bottom.

2. Use for storing spare dice from games.

3. Place in kitchen drawer to store corn cob holders with the spikes on them.

4. Use for scooping kitty litter, pet food, potting soil, etc.

5. Keep near sink to refill pet water dishes or to give plants a "sip" of water.

6. Make a small first aid kit for the glove compartment in the car, a kids backpack, etc.

7. Place feminine items in them to store in the car or gym bag so they don't get banged up.

8. Make piggy banks for kids, baby shower donations, etc.

9. I like to mix up herbs and spices for my own seasoning mixes and you could easily mix and store them in these containers. Also cinnamon and sugar or cinnamon and powdered sugar to put on toast in the morning.

10. If you use artificial sweeteners, you could place a few of the artificial sweetener packets in these and keep in your car. (As long as temperatures aren't extreme)

11. Some pharmacies have a medical kit that they give away that looks like a prescription pill bottle, but it has a piece of paper in it to write your information, medication, allergies, etc. on in the event 911 is called for you or you are in a car wreck, etc. You could make your own using this container and write or type that information out (be sure to date it) and keep a copy at home in plain sight and one in your car.

12. Place in bathtub for washing hair or for kids to play with.

I use the small cups when I paint on my craft projects to mix the small amounts of paint, or to hold small craft items to prevent loosing them. Also great for glitter to sprinkle on items.

When I don't cook a whole package of spaghetti, noodles, macaroni, rice or what-have-you, I store the rest in canister containers. The powder cups/tubs work great as lunch box dip containers(tartar sauce, ketchup, cheese sauce, caramel, yogurt...). Simply cover with press & seal stuff or plastic wrap held in place with a small rubber band.

I used the containers for plasticware at our picnic. I placed 9 of them in a square basket and filled them with spoons, knives, and forks. Many friends borrowed it for their get togethers. Tie a ribbon on or around the basket and you have a cute and reusable holder.

I make wrap style sandwiches for daughter's lunch all the time. After making wrap, cut in two pieces, wrap up in saran wrap and place in the crystal lite container. Fits perfectly in lunch box, the food will not be crushed, and she even knows to bring home empty container for reuse.

My aunt uses them to store plastic grocery bags, she says that she can fit a bunch in them then she keeps them under her sink, also you could fill one up and put it in your car, oh there have been many times that I could have used one!

Great Camp cups. Label on with each person's name and lids come in handy to keep bugs out. :-) Also good for mixing dry & wet ingredients.

Great kids cups....just cut them down and the lid still fits!

great for storing camera lenses in.

I think they make a neat "gift box" for smaller items if you clean them and decoupage, paint, or otherwise decorate the outside.

If you have children you could also have them make cool mini time capsule containers for a special occasion like a birthday or a day at the beach. They are just right for little treasures.

You could even use them as molds for candle making if you could tear the cardboard away from the hardened wax.

Wow! Thanks to all for these wonderful ideas! I will be saving all of them now and putting them to good use.

Cheryl

www.2ewenique.com

If you use it to hold plastic grocery bags, you can cut an X shaped slit on the lid, then pull the bags through--you wouldn't even have to open it.

They could also be used for storing small amounts of dry goods--beans, lentils, peas, rice. You could premeasure them for certain recipes.

If you have a baby, they would make awesome containers for bringing formula powder and dry cereal on a trip.

I am a rubber stamper & I've been seeing on a lot of stamping blogs that stampers are cleaning them out, gluing decorative papers on them; then decorating with other items to make containers for Halloween goodies/candy/etc. They can be made up for several holidays. You could also get some plain paper & rubber stamp it for the outside decoration, also. They make really cute treat containers.

You can decorate them and put something with a little weight in the bottom and they make good pencil holders for by the phone or on the desk.

Decorating them and cutting a slot in the top makes a cute little piggy bank.

Maybe use them to portion out individual servings of dry goods like cereal or trail mix or something that you'll use fairly quickly. (Not sure if they are air tight, don't want stuff getting stale) Or just use it to hold a snack for the day.

You might try asking schools or preschools in your area if they would be able to use them. I know when my son was small and I had baby food jars left over all the time they loved receiving them.

Store plastic bags from the grocery store in one to keep in the car for quick clean ups.

Poke holes in the top of one and put cornstarch in it. Tape the lid on so it doesn't come off or leak around the edges. Instant dusting powder.

Do the same thing with baking soda for cleaning up- sprinkle on damp surfaces and wipe to clean.

Make little instant craft kits to keep kids busy when you need time to do something. Put large beads and yarn with a taped end for stringing or bits of cut up paper and a glue stick to make a mosaic or pie cleaners and tissue paper to make flowers.

fill a quarter of the way with uncooked rice or dried beans and glue or tape shut to make a shaker.

Use it to keep small things that get lost in the bottom of your purse together. Pens, pencils, stamps, jewelry, that button that fell off, change etc...

Use for drinking cups in a pinch, they are cup shaped after all, and more sturdy than store bought plastic disposable cups.

Hope something in here helps, just stuff off the top of my head.

Thanks for all the wonderful feedback. I'm going to print this to keep it handy!

Cheryl

I made some great gift holders with mine. I used felt to make a nutcracker, gluing a pom to the lid for the busby style hat. Then I put in my smaller gift, men's socks. I can see this as a baby bottle filled with small items for a baby shower too. Glue a real nipple to the lid. I also glued a bunch side to side in a circle, without the lids and glued to a piece of light plywood cut in a circle. Attached to a wall, its a perfect cubby for pencils, crayons, short rulers, small scissors in my craft room

We have lots of those really nice clear plastic Crystal Light containers with a lid. There just has to be something useful to do with them. I'm counting on your help or they are all going into the recycle bin. Thank you.