Removing Grease From Satin Wedding Dress

Can you please tell me how to remove black grease off of a satin wedding dress which cannot be washed?

Lesley from Essex

For starters, place fabric over a towel on ironing board for some solid support. Use a piece of scotch tape, press down and lift. Repeat with new scotch tape each time so you aren't putting grease back down again. See if that helps. You can run your fingernail across top of tape firmly to get embedded grease. When you've got as much as you think you can, it may be gone. If not, use a clean white washcloth (so you can see stain clearly) or scrap from white tee shirt and dip in white vinegar so cloth is damp, not dripping. Then press down on fabric and lift...repeat if it seems to be helping. You can rub gently also.

I was amazed to see a saleswoman wet a cloth with simple green cleaner and gently rub a black spot off the shoulder of a white satin gown and it easily disappeared. It looked like grease from a car. No shadow stain remained. Water will leave that shadow mark. Good luck.

I don't have any suggestions about the grease but you CAN wash your wedding gown. My mother did mine 26 yrs. ago...and she and I have did my own two daughters wedding gowns as well. Its a myth that only a dry cleaner can do it at a very high price. Ours were all very fancy dresses with beadwork and trains...just use a gentle cycle and turn inside out. Line dry them on a windy day. Then put them into a box with blue tissue paper from the dollar store. Layer the blue tissue paper throughout the dress and around the dress. (must be blue for some reason)

Dear Lesley from Essex,

I had the same stain on my gown which my soon-to-be-(as in 1 hr.!) SIL removed with a clean wetted dish cloth & a bit of dishwashing soap (the name of the product was Dawn). The stain came off like magic & I was able to wear an unstained gown to the alter.

Cheryl

Well as some people suggested - dish washing liquid is good because it is mild and wont harm the fabric. My wedding dress is quite a thick satin so ''good old fashion scrubbing' like the olden days seem to get all the grease black marks off. Good workout for the arms.

This was SO helpful! Dish soap did take it out,

but yes, it takes a little scrubbing.

Thanks for the tips, I saved my new coat!

Removing Stains from a Satin Dress
Removing Stains from a Satin Dress
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsSeptember 27, 2007
selecting a wedding dress
Selecting a Wedding Dress
grease stain on carpet
Cleaning Grease Stains on Carpet
Colorful Bridal Bouquets
Choosing Wedding Colors
Buying a Wedding Dress Online
Buying a Wedding Dress Online
🎄