Keeping Records After Someone Dies

After a person dies, how long should you hold on to their records, such as insurance, bank, hospital, credit and personal papers? Please help.

Mary from Houston, TX

Legally, I dont know that answer to your question, but I would keep them until all accounts are shown to be settled and then at least another year or two after that just to be sure. I would also permanently keep important records such as marriage license etc and personal papers for historical sake.

First of all, are you the "executor" of the estate? If not, find out who is and ask them to notify you when the estate has been "settled". Upon settling there is no need to keep any type of financial records, etc. (unless other individuals are involved in such accounts other than the deceased.) NEVER get rid of ORIGINAL LICENCES, CERTIFICATES,etc. especially of family members. These may someday serve as "documented proof" as well as being your family history for future generations. Mary, I also want to say I'm sorry for your heart goes out to you & your family/friends.

Organizing PaperworkFebruary 9, 2007
Uses for Old Records
Uses for Old Records
Selling Vinyl Records
Selling Vinyl Records
Cleaning a Vinyl Record
Cleaning Vinyl Records
Organizing Pet Records
Organizing Pet Records