Selling Vinyl Records

Category Miscellaneous
If you have a collection of old vinyl records, you may have some really valuable recordings. This is a guide about selling vinyl records.

Many others have said it, do your research. There are many websites that will give you a range of prices for what your record(s) might be selling for.

Some of your old records (if they are in good shape) could be worth quite a chunk of change. Sadly, it can be a little time consuming, but it's fun and worth it if you have a little time. Often, if it's a rare record in great shape, you will get the best return by putting it up for auction on eBay but this is also time consuming. If you just want to get rid of them quick and want a little money, give your local record store a call and see if they want to buy them.

If you do decide to auction, pay attention to the record grading, carefully clean the records well and take good photos of the record and the sleeve. If you have something special; like a promotional copy, colored vinyl or a first pressing, make sure to mention this in the description. If you have additional information about the artists or the release, include that as well.

Good luck!

What prices should I sell my 1980s vinyl records for, at a garage sale?

By Catherine Cavanagh from Freeport, NY

Answers

Best Answer

Agree with a few others on here that most of them likely are not going to be worth much more than a dollar or two each; the DH and I have been selling on eBay for five years, and will sell the occasional vinyl album, but here's our suggestion:

It's going to sound time-consuming and very tedious, but you may be better off doing both the garage sale and eBay selling thing.

Go to eBay and search your albums--the "completed" listings. That'll give you some idea as to what the market actually is for them, that is, what people will actually offer for them. Do them one-by-one. There are so many surprises that can pop up for you; an album you think is worthless can sell for a nice price ( and the other way around, ones you think should be priceless are worth next to nothing).

After your search, the ones you see selling for a couple of bucks--or under-- and the ones you have that may have tears or soil on the covers or more than minimal scratching of any kind--save them to put out on your yard sale.

If you think you'll get a dollar for it, it's not worth posting on eBay; after the selling fees, you're making next to nothing.

As for taking them to someone dealing specifically in vinyl--don't know if I'd go that route. Resellers are like antique dealers: you'll get about 25% back on what they'll actually mark it up and sell it for.

Good luck!

How much could I get for a copy of Elvis Presley's Golden Hits?

Answers

There are actually several of these and they are still popular but still do not bring a lot of money.
There are several auction sites that list LP's and some dedicated sites for just LP's but these are easy to find if you just Google "where to sell LPs".
eBay is always a good selling site and can usually show you what things are currently selling for. Just type in the name of your item to see what is listed but here is a link to the latest price Elvis Presley Golden Hits sold for:

http://www.ebay  d=p2045573.m1684

I would check on worthpoint.com and eBay. Unless it's a signed copy or very rare, it is probably not worth that much.

What is the condition? You can see what others are selling theirs for along with condition information here:

https://www.ama  HN7N5KQ9TZHC0A6W

There is a need to go and check the price

This will depend partly on age and condition.

There are several different records with a similar name. You'll need to know: What label, what year, and what condition grade.

Here's a good place to look it up:
http://www.popsike.com/

Or: http://www.viny  alues/#gsc.tab=0

There are many sites to research for its worth. You can look it up on eBay to get an idea.

I have a 1958 golden Elvis record I'm selling to an Elvis collector for $800 to 1,000. Is this the right price?

By Windett from Franklin, WV

Answers

This person must want it really bad, because I have never seen any record albums like that, that went for more than just a few dollars. Go to ebay and see if you can find anything like that and what they are selling for.

Any item such as this is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. You might find someone who will pay more or you might never find anyone who will pay this much. I think you would go a long way before finding as good a price as this.

I have 448 1980's vinyl records and I'm wondering how much I could get for the lot.

By Michael C.

Answers

You will have to check these out for yourself as one or two may be worth something but most are hard to sell even at yard sales for .50.

Check out Google as there are some sites that may tell you something and eBay has lots of info. As a lot? You may find a record store that sells older records and may give you a few bucks for the lot.

You may be lucky and find a few that are "gold". Good luck.

I have several photo LPs of Ozzie, Ted Nugget, Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, The Cars, The Who, Rush, etc. I would like to find out what they are worth. Here are photos of a few of them.

By Sandra

Answers

Hi - these are neat but you may have to do your own research. Check eBay and Google. Research is fun - you have all the info available to find an answer to your question.
Good luck - you may hit the jack-pot with one of these!

I have about 200 old 78 RPM records of all kinds from the 60s, 70s, and 80s. How much could I possibly get for all of them at one time?

By Randolph

Answers

I would snope around on my local craiglist.org and ebay and see what the various titles are going for. Some sell better individually, and others as a lot.

For example, right now my husband and I are redecorating our basement and are looking for songs of the 60's, 70's and 80's, specifically ones we liked and such as Elvis, Doris Day, Bing Crosby....We wouldn't buy a large lot unless some of these artist were included.