How Long Will My Dog Be In Heat?

How long will a dog be in heat? I'm very new at this.

By Annette from Ontario, Canada

Best Answer

Usually about three week or 21 days. It is the second week you really need to watch your dog as she can link up with a partner. The third week she is waning down and can still be linking up, but interest is dissipating. The full 21 days you need to keep your female from being alone outdoors as other male dogs will come around; you'd be surprised at how many dogs will appear at this time and dog fights can happen and maybe harm your female. When the female's tail moves toward the side; she's ready for mating. If your dog is going through her very first heat, do not allow her to get hooked up. She isn't ready or fully matured for it yet and can cause harm to her or a litter. Wait at least for the second heat usually five months after the first heat. Then if you want her to have a litter it's safe. A good breeder does not allow their female dog to have litters at each heat, but alternates to every other one. This is hard on the dog otherwise and creates a lot of complications unnecessarily for the dog and the pups. There are panties made just for the female in heat that you insert a sanitary pad inside and keeps things clean if she's in the house.

Thanks to Bell & Summers mom for posting the info about Luvs size 6... I have a lab mix and she is a BIG dog! I had to modify the diaper by cutting a tail hole, but it worked like a charm! I put them on tape side up (backwards) because it's easier.

Talk to your veterinarian about having your female de-sexed unless you are a registered licensed breeder. Good luck.

Please have her spay, there are too many cats/dogs that are in the shelter every day that are put to sleep.

I know and I feel so guilty for not spading my dog when I see all these dogs on the strs. Multipling its so sad but after she gets over her first heat I will get her spaded

As everyone else has said, a dog is in heat for at least 3 weeks and can get pregnant during any time of the heat cycle. But, please, why do we keep seeing these posts. Why don't you folks have your dogs spayed and/or neutered. There are so many, many dogs in shelters, being kept in cages, being killed, because there are too many unwanted dogs in these countries and you want to add to that! Why, why, why.

There are many reasons why someone would wait to spay or neuter their dog or cat. As long as they are responsible and do not allow their pet to mate, then it should not be an issue until the owner finds the right time to alter.

For us, we need the hormones of my dog's uterus for proper bone and mental growth for what her job is. I also want to wait because OFA testing usually happens at 2 years and I only want her sedated once. I will spay three months after her last heat closest to her second whelp day.

There has been research and documentation against pediatric altering.

Studies have shown more instances of joint damage in larger breed dogs with those that were altered before adolescence. Waiting until adulthood increases your chances of healthy bone and joint growth. Usually with cats there is not a reason to wait, but I will right up until he/she starts going into puberty, about 4 to 5 months.

I am all for altering, especially if you are unable to make sure your dog will not breed while waiting for the right time, but I did want to say that there are reasons why someone would wait to spay or neuter their dog.

June 27, 2011 Flag

How long will dogs be in heat?

By Aryana from CA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I think a week to ten days. She'll come into heat and then she's interested but wont let dogs approach her. Then later she'll go into standing heat and that's when she will let dogs approach. Call your vet, they should be able to tell you. Small dogs might be in heat a shorter time period, though, I'm not sure.

Our dog Mazzy seems to be in heat for at least two weeks, aftetrwards, in about the 60 some days after (when puppies would've been born) she chooses several of her toys as her babies and cares for them just like they were really puppies! We plan to have her spayed because the whole thing is just too heart wrenching!

The only people qualfied to answer this question is your Veterinarian or registered breeder. Remember bitches can have phantom pregnancy. Talk to these two people for the correct information

Hello,

Are you a breeder? If not, you can have her spay.

March 1, 2011 Flag

How long will my dog be in heat?

wilmary from High Point, NC

Answers:

How Long Will My Dog Be In Heat?

Average is 21 days. Range is 2-4 weeks. That's what I have observed with my females. You can get diapers at Petsmart for bleeding if needed. (01/08/2008)

By Mona in Hatchechubbee, Al

How Long Will My Dog Be In Heat?

Dogs are in heat about 3 weeks (21 days). They have usually been about a week before you notice anything. If you plan to have her spayed wait until after the heat (even if she accidentally gets bred) because it's a much easier surgery for the dog if she's not in heat. Recovery is very short, usually for a couple of days they might act a little down. You should keep them from too much activity for a couple of weeks or at least until after the stitches come out. However, your vet is the best one to ask about all this. (07/13/2008)

By Glenn'sMom

How Long Will My Dog Be In Heat?

I don't know what all the confusion is about a female dog being in heat. Yes they bleed, yes it is messy and yes it lasts for at least 21 days, once every six months. If you do not want to put up with this then have your female dog spayed. You can have it done at most any age. Talk to your vet about it. If you have a Boxer dog in heat with a cropped tail, you can use baby diapers that are meant for human babies. They work great for this breed of dog. For example my Boxer girl Summer is 10 months old and she is wearing a 36 lb and up size 6 LUVS diaper. The same diaper will last the whole day. Yes you will have to take it off when she goes out to go pee and put it back on when she comes in the house again. I use a denim dog garment over top of the diaper too. She does not mind wearing it. I got her use to it long before she came in heat.
Good luck. (05/12/2009)

By Belle n SummersMom

RE: How Long Will My Dog Be In Heat?

January 7, 2008 Flag

I have a mini rat terrier, her name is Cheyenne and she is 7 months and has started her first heat. Can anyone tell me how long this will last? She is swollen and bleeds off and on. She is very healthy, but she is so swollen, any advice please? Her vet said this is normal. I am planning on having her fixed as soon as this over but it been a month. She first started swelling for about 2 weeks, then a few days of bleeding. I just want to know how long this will last.

Barbaglia from TN

Answers:

How Long Will My Dog Be In Heat?

Contact your vet. (03/01/2006)

By mkymlp

How Long Will My Dog Be In Heat?

Your dog's heat can last as long as 1 month, maybe longer if this is her first time! The swelling comes first, then the bleeding, then after the bleeding, this is when she will take a male, BUT she is much too young to have babies, she is still a baby herself. Get her spayed a.s.a.p. This will also cut her chances 95 % of getting breast cancer . I think the humane society has a low cost spay and neuter program. I think you have to wait until she is done with her cycle to have her spayed, but I am not sure . Please do this as soon as possible ,she will be a better dog too as she grows up. I have always had my dogs spayed or neutered at about 6 months of age . (03/01/2006)

By Rosa

How Long Will My Dog Be In Heat?

Your dog will probably bleed from 6-14 days. It depends on the dog. If you don't want her to get pregnant keep her away from male dogs right now or dont tie her up outside without supervision. (12/30/2006)

By lilPrincess123

A Golden Retriever in heat.
How Long is a Dog in Heat?
Pets Dogs HealthMarch 1, 2011
An orange cat in heat.
How Often Can a Cat be in Heat?
Hot coffee mug on wood table.
Removing Heat Marks from Furniture
Watering Flowers
Helping Your Garden Beat The Heat
Above Ground  Swimming Pool
Saving Energy on Swimming Pools
🎉
🎄