Coat Hanger and Yarn Project Ideas

I am looking for various projects to do with wire hangers and yarn, like the dog. I am trying to gather ideas to do with the seniors in my building. All help greatly appreciated!

By Kathy

My MIL crocheted around her hangers to make them nonslip. I don't believe she used any pattern but simple single/double chain stitch. She has done it to all her hangers, even the plastic ones. Makes great gift idea to for ladies in the family.

One that is not too difficult is to bend the hanger into a circle, leaving the hook intact for hanging. Then make yarn bundles from green or white yarn (like the ones used to make the dog) tie them onto the circle, pushing them together for fullness. When the circle is full and fluffy, glue a few small red pom poms at random in groups of 2 or 3 to look like holly berries.

Harlean from Arkansas

I submitted this as an idea. If you ladies crochet, simply follow the instructions and you might be able to sell these easily. They are super cheap and can be made out of scrap yarn. Note: The plastic hangers you can get at thrift stores work best.

Good Luck.

Simply make the chain, wrap it around, hot gluing every few inches, till you finish up. I don't recommend you wrap the hanger part, as it will soon fray and lose it's adhesion. Email me here if you have any need for help. I love to share!

Here is another site to visit:

Crafts AdviceOctober 21, 2010
Sweater Covered Hanger
Making Covered Hangers
Photo of a finished dog made out of yarn.
Making a Yarn Dog
Colorful sweater hanging in a closet.
Removing Hanger Bumps on Sweaters
Crocheted Drying Hanger
Crocheted Drying Hanger