Wipe Down Your Car With Vinegar

Here is a quick and easy way to wash the car. The other day I decided to wash my car windows, which were looking pretty smeary. I used a bowl of vinegar and water about 3 cups water and one of vinegar. When I was through, I wiped off the hood which was looking pretty dusty - and dried it and before I knew it,I cleaned the entire car.

I was sure it would dry with smears, etc. but it didn't. It really looked pretty good. I have a compact car, so a larger car would probably need more water and vinegar. I was really pleased with the results - no hosing down - and only took about ten minutes. I will definitely do this again.

By Joan from Chesterfield MI

Isn't vinegar very acidic? I would be worried about this hurting the finish on the paint, or does this sound like an extreme concern?

I have a black pick-up and it is very hard to keep from streaking when I wipe dry after washing it. So now after washing I let it drip dry and then I spray with a mix of 1/2 water and 1/2 vinegar in a spray bottle and then wipe dry. It shines like new. So far it has not damaged the paint and I have been doing this for 2 years. I wax it once a year

This is great news for me - we have severe water restrictions in South Australia and are not supposed to be using water to wash cars so I will try this method using water from our rain water tank - a bucket is about all I can spare - my car hasn't been washed since 31 Dec 2006 - looks pretty grotty

I can see where that would work, I have a water distiller, and we use distilled water for many things around the house, like our espresso machine, so it doesn't have to be decalcified. We also ionize it to use as a disinfectant. Much like the premise behind using colloidal silver. Anyway, the distiller boiler accumulates minerals, especially calcium, that the water leaves behind. So to get more use out of the boiler, before it wears out, I place some white vinegar in it and it dissolves the calcification. Which is the same thing that is in water and why it leaves spots. So using white vinegar would naturally prevent the water spots from appearing because it lifts the calcium spots before they dry and show up; but I hadn't thought of using it on my car, or windows, for that matter.

Amazing how we use an idea in one area and fail to use it in another related area. I always say that each and every one of us has an idea, if we just combine some of our seeming unrelated ideas or ideas we just never though of using together, that each and every one of us could create an invention that has never been thought of before. How many times have you seen something and thought, I knew that, or how to do that, but failed to act upon it because you thought that, everybody knows that until you see some idea, or some tool, or some infomercial and then you said, I thought of that but it was so simple I thought everybody knew it. We all have great ideas in our heads, but we just fail to take the action that makes them great!

Washing a Blue Car
Car Washing Tips and Tricks
Home and Garden Cleaning AutoOctober 1, 2007
Disinfectant Wipe Containers
Uses for Disinfectant Wipe Containers
Hot Tea
Cooling Down Hot Drinks
Young boy sitting on a step ladder cleaning a wall.
Homemade Wall Cleaner Recipes
Vinegar Bottle
Removing Vinegar Smell from Carpet