Squirrels in My Attic

How can I get rid of the squirrels in my attic?

By Linda

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

My boyfriend would love this one as he had a running battle for a while with squirrels. Traps, poison, plug the holes where they are coming in. Bear spray has a decided negative effect on them also if you can get close enough to spray them with it (don't overdo it if you don't want to kill them, it probably will). If you don't want to kill them there is a trap called "Have a Heart" available at most feed / farm & ranch stores and it will catch them where you can release them elsewhere. The main thing is to figure out how they are getting in and seal those areas off.

Before I got smart they tore up many sheets of fiberglass insulation. Found out they HATE peppermint oil and even peppermint gum. Tossed many pieces of gum into the attic and haven't seen one since. Worth a try?

Answer

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of a flying squirrel in my attic? Thanks for your help.

By Vicky

Answers:

Squirrels in My Attic

I have this issue as well! I think they are "protected" so that becomes an issue. I know that they are smart and throw up any poison anyway, so I have tried the live traps. I put a bit of peanut butter on the bait spot and get them trapped, only thing is you have to move them very far away for them not to return. And since they breed like wild, you may want to keep your trap up there after you think you have them all. Good luck! (03/11/2011)

By brenneman826

Squirrels in My Attic

If they bred like wild they would not be protected. There are heavy fines and even jail time for killing animals on the protected list. All you have to do is call your local wildlife management office and they will take care of it. Please do not kill animals. (03/11/2011)

By Lilac

Squirrels in My Attic

They will use traps to get them out too and when you say all she has to do is call the local wildlife management office, do you think they are going to plug up the hole for her so no more get in? I doubt it. Best to call someone who will take care of the place they are getting in and set a trap along with it. It is easy to say to not kill the animals and I don't like it either, but when they can chew through wiring and make so much noise you can't sleep, there is not much alternative. (03/11/2011)

By Laniegirl

Squirrels in My Attic

I can tell you how I got rid of mine. It depends on how much you hate the thoughts of them being there. First I bought a water gun. A child's toy. Then I saved my urine and filled the gun up and everywhere I saw squirrels I sprayed like crazy. It worked for me and when they were gone I had my husband close the openings they were using to go in and out of. Good luck. (Wild animals mark their territory with urine and boy did I mark mine.) (03/11/2011)

By grannygirl

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I just found out I probably have squirrels in my attic. My townhouse is connected to my neighbor and today I saw two running back and forth along the gutter we share and then her squirrel; ran under the soffit and disappeared.

I don't know if my squirrel followed into my neighbor's attic or disappeared into my attic. I don't have any hanging damage that I can see as yet. Do they come in at night? What can I use to get them out of my attic? Thanks for your help. They have already destroyed 1 or more soffits really badly.

By Deby from Hillsborough, NJ

Answers:

Squirrels in My Attic

This can be a serious problem because if the squirrels are in the attic they can chew through wiring and cause a house fire. They will continue to chew on everything in sight and can actually chew through the attic and come into your living area. They are looking for a place to have their young so please get professional help while the problem is only two squirrels. I have seen the damage caused by these animals and it can get expensive to fix. (07/27/2010)

By grannygirl

Squirrels in My Attic

Contact the people who are in charge of your HOA. You probably pay a fee each month for the up keep of the outside of the building. They should have the problem taken care of. (07/27/2010)

By Danialle

Squirrels in My Attic

I had that problem with our home in Maryland. They would come in through the opening for the air conditioning line that was made just under the gutter. One company wanted to repair all the faucets and that would not have taken care of the problem. So, I would be sure that is the way that they are getting in.

Second, if you have access to the attic you can put a radio in the attic and set it on a Talk Radio station to discourage them from coming in. I fixed my squirrel invasion with spray and puffy insulation that hardens like Styrofoam. I hope this helps. (07/27/2010)

By pwsmith5858

Squirrels in My Attic

Don't want to alarm you, but it's time to call an exterminator. Other animals like rats and mice will follow the scent of the squirrels urine and pretty soon it will be an animal free for all in your attic. (07/27/2010)

By lovethosehounds

Squirrels in My Attic

They are just as bad as wood rats. You need to get a contractor out there to replace and fix any loose boards, and close the entry to keep them from getting in. I had this problem 5 years ago. So far I have not had anymore trouble. (07/30/2010)

By sickandsexy

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a squirrels in the attic. They are making noise and none of the repellent from the ordinary store worked out so far. It is any way to make them disappear?
Thanks.

By Rom from Morgan Hill, CA

Answers:

Squirrels in My Attic

Well if you do not want to hire an exterminator and do it yourself you first must find the area that they are entering the attic. Then, usually during the day, they leave the attic to look for food you have to block the entrance. It maybe as simple as replacing or adding a piece of wood to the opening. Another item you can use is hardware cloth, which is just a small hole wire mesh and cover the opening. This is available at a hardware store or big box store. Forget any suggestions of moth balls or other chemicals. They will not work. You have to get the squirrels out as they can breed and really make a mess. (02/01/2010)

By foxrun41

Squirrels in My Attic

Squirrels are a serious problem. Call an exterminator right away! Squirrels not only make a mess, they can chew on electrical wires and set your attic on fire. I was lucky that the ones in my attic had chewed on insulation, not wires. And that the exterminator found one that was pregnant before it delivered. (02/05/2010)

By Lady Bee

Squirrels in My Attic

Call out a company that humanely removes animals and places them back out into the wild, then check all around your eaves to repair any openings where they are getting in. Please do not kill them. (02/05/2010)

By YORKIEPOO

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How can I get rid of the squirrels that have invaded my itty bitty attic. I hear them chewing on the wood and they bump and thump at all hours.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Pest Control Squirrels and ChipmunksApril 18, 2011
Squirrels going through fascia board into attic.
Keeping Squirrels Out of Your Attic
Closeup of Gray Squirrel
Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees
Squirrel Eating From Bird Feeder
Keeping Squirrels Away (Deterring Squirrels)
Cats in the Attic
Cats in the Attic
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 20, 2016 at 9:19:25 AM on 10.0.2.182 in 877 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.