Dog Diapers Won't Stay On

small dog
Whatever the reason you need to use dog diapers, it is maddening when they won't stay on. This is a guide about dog diapers won't stay on.

I have been a big fan of belly bands for our Chihuahuas (they are the worst markers!). I buy them from pawstoadmire.com. They just recently started making new belly bands with a strap around the neck and it keeps the belly bands on the dogs. One of our Chihuahuas always gets out of his belly band, so I'm going to try these. Hope this helps.

My dog is a miniature Dachshund, so a little Wiener dog. She is overweight and has a pot belly. She is 12 years old, so she has trouble holding her bladder all the time. I have tried both disposable and non-disposable diapers on her, but her belly is so big it just pushes them off. She also has such a long little body it's hard to find anything that fits her properly. I thought of putting a baby onesie on to try and hold it up, but she is too long. Please help!

By Angel

Did you cut a hole for the tail to go through? When my female dog was in heat, I used regular baby diapers for her. The tail hole really helps hold the diaper in place!

Have you considered learning to "express" your dog? Vets do it all the time and can show you how. It entails squeezing your dog's bladder until she empties it. You do it three times a day and then won't need the diapers. I dont know all the circumstances of your situation but this is a common solution for dogs as they get older. I have a cat with neurological damage that we do this for.

Anonymous

I keep a gentle harness on my 2 dachshunds all the time - and I bought some elastic ribbon, and suspender clips - I run 2 lines from either the side loops of the harness, or from the top ring on the harness, the suspender clips attach to the diaper via the elastic ribbon - walla - one skinny 16 year old safe in her diaper, one chubby 10 year old safe in her diaper - they wear diapers all the time unless they are outside - the 10 year old often has a clean (poise) pad, but she doesn't mind the diaper, and we are all happy. I order a lot of poise via amazon subscription every month - saves a bit, and you don't mind changing often.

Anonymous

Don't know if you have ever heard of the Do-Rite Disposable Diaper... It addresses all of the issues that you have with your pot belly dog.

Do you have pictures of what you mate

Anonymous

Use a belly band on your dog and I put a woman's maxipad in it. I have a morkie and he marks all the time, so, when he's in the house he wears that and it's a wonder!

I need help with this as well for my doxi. I don't think it's her belly as much as her short legs. As mine is tiny and she still slips out of them because her legs are so short.

My dog is in heat and her diaper won't stay on at night. She is a French Bulldog and has no tail so the diaper isn't really working. I don't want to keep her just in the kitchen area and she usually sleeps with me. I feel bad making her sleep elsewhere she is already a bit mopey.

Please don't lecture me on getting her fixed, she is 8.5 months and I didn't realize her first cycle would come this quick. I need help; I tried putting a baby onesie one her and she just didn't look comfortable, so that obviously doesn't work. I'm using the non-disposable diaper (cloth one w/pads).

By Ms. Ana from Dallas, TX

Anonymous

I'm not sure what doggie diapers look like but we have used little boy's underwear/briefs on our dog backwards so her tail (stump) could stick out.

Anonymous

I would never have thought of the little boy briefs and putting them on backwards! It makes a lot of sense and as long as not too small I'll bet that would work :-)

Same thing happened with my dog. She is a mini poodle. I used a pair of my sons old underwear (sz.2T) with a panty liner. It worked fine. After that I had her fixed.

We use "pull-ups" with a slit cut through for the tail nub.

I also have a dog that needs to wear a diaper sometimes, and I came up with a solution that might help you. I used my idea with human disposable diapers, but this idea should work with cloth diapers as well.

I put a dog harness on my dog instead of her collar, and then I put on the diaper and fastened it. To keep the diaper on her, I then took a diaper pin (don't use regular safety pins) and pinned through each side of the diaper where the diaper is already fastened to itself. So the dog now has a diaper pin on each side of her hips through the diaper. Next, keeping the diaper pin open, I looped it through the part of the dog harness closest to her lower body and on each side of her hips, and then I closed each pin.

I hope this description is not confusing, since I don't have a picture to post. Basically, the harness almost acts like a set of suspenders, if that helps. I tried this first, since I had all items on hand, and it worked well for me. If that didn't work, my next step was some of the clothing mentioned in the previous posts. My dog has narrow hips and no tail, and there was no way a diaper would stay on by itself. Hope this idea helps!

Have just tried this on my Frenchie and it is working great. Thank you for the tip.

I have a dog that is mixed Lab, she weighs about 80 lbs. I use the adult Depends on her when she is in heat, and they just are still too big, they keep falling down off from her back. I can't seem to find anything to make them stay up. Any suggestions on what to do or anything else I can try to use on her? The smaller ones just don't seem to fit on her right.

By Ellen

Answer Was this helpful? 2

Drsfostersmith makes diapers especially for this purpose, and here they are:

http://pet-supp  00&division=

You might also check amazon.com for them as well.

Years ago, when my family was breeding poodles, we used to protect the females by putting them in various sizes of baby sunsuits, the kind with straps for the shoulders, which we would crisscross over the dog's head, to keep them from sliding down. We used them to protect the females from the puppies when it was time to wean them completely, but you could also use the sunsuits over an incontinence pad to keep the pad on and protect a female in heat. A couple of our poodles enjoyed wearing their sunsuits. They would strut around proudly in their little outfits! The others didn't mind and they all got used them quickly.

Of course, it would be better to have your dog spayed. We learned the hard way that an unspayed female can have life threatening uterine or mammary problems later in life. This goes for cats too. It's something you should really think about, as it is a kindness to your pet, unless you are using her for breeding purposes.

Doggie Diapers Won't Stay On
My pit bull is in heat and bleeding all over the house is there anything to do besides the doggie diapers? She won't keep them on.

Andrea from AZ

Answers:

Doggie Diapers Won't Stay On

Don't think there is much else to do except confine her to one area that is easy to clean, or use a crate till she is through with it. (08/30/2007)

By Tami

Doggie Diapers Won't Stay On

OK, do not laugh. I have a female Doxie that came into heat way earlier than I thought she would. I had not spayed her yet. The only thing I found that worked were the plastic potty training panties, that you can get in the baby section of Walmart. They come in a three pack and are pretty cheap, cut a tail hole out and tighten the waist to fit and they are good to go. Cheap enough to replace when you need to. I am all for spaying and neutering pets, but this worked when I got caught in a bind. (09/05/2007)

By do not laugh

Doggie Diapers Won't Stay On

I have sold a lot of diapers to many customers that had the same problem with the diapers that they where buying elsewhere, but say that my diapers do stay on. You might want to check my website at jjdiapers.ca and read my testimonials.

Good luck. (09/14/2007)

By Filomena

RE: Doggie Diapers Won't Stay On