Backing Up My Computer

I am fairly new to computers. How do I backup everything on my computer, ie. my documents, pictures, favorites, address book?

Thanks for any help.

Gail from Chattanooga TN

You should buy a good program for backing up your files. There are many available that are easy to use. go to a site like PCMag.com for revues and advice. It is definitely worth it. We had a hard drive crash 1 week after our warranty expired. HP still went good for the repairs, which really impressed me, but they couldn't replace the pictures we lost.

If you have a CD burner, you can burn these files to several CD's. This works well for documents and pictures. Other stuff you can just print out to have a hard copy, like the address book. You could create a word file for the web addresses of your favorites and save it to the CD where you back up all your other word files, or just print it out. It's really not the end of the world if you lose favorites, though. I don't back those up. I only back up the pictures to cd and I keep a hard copy of any important documents. Another way to back up files is to save them on two computers. I do that, too, since we have both a laptop and a desktop.

Pictures are really important to back up, especially if you don't have hard copies. I would highly recommend finding an easy way to back those up ASAP. You don't want to lose those precious memories.

Here's a link (hope it works, if not just cut & paste it into your browser) that will take you to ehow.com It has several in depth articles that take you thro the process step by step.

http://www.ehow.com/Search.aspx?s=back+up+computer+files&Options=

I don't trust the computer at all. I save anything I want (including pictures) onto floppy disks or CDs. I started out with the disks about 10 years ago, and graduated to CDs a couple of years ago.

I am a web designer, and must back up everything constantly, just to protect all of my work.

One thing you can do is buy some inexpensive webhosting, or find some for free, and copy all of your files to the webhost. That way, it is backed up, off-site, for very little money.

I want to thank everyone for all the advice. You have given me many ideas and I so appreciate it.

Thank you so much,

Hi Gail, 8 years ago when I was 49 I didn't even know how to turn a computer on, I bought one, and I am addicted. In the early years of teaching myself the ropes I found a wonderful website produced by a lady named Elizabeth, she sends out a newsletter crammed full of great tips and "how to" stuff. I learned a great deal from her. Here is the site so you can sign up for the newsletter.

http://www.askTCL.com Good luck!!

Computers MaintenanceFebruary 21, 2007
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
A sewing machine making repairs.
Repairing Thermal Backing on Curtains
A group of external hard drives.
Backing Up Your Computer Files
Frugal Quilt Backing Ideas
Frugal Quilt Backing Ideas
🎉
🎄