Repairing Thermal Backing on Curtains

Category Other
This is a guide about repairing thermal backing on curtains. Over time, the sun can destroy the thermal backing on curtains. Repairing the backing can extend the life of the curtains.

The white thermal backing on my curtains has been sun-damaged and resembles fine powder, possibly a breathing hazard. Since it's part of the curtain, is it possible to spray it with something or is that the end of the curtains? Perhaps I could make a lining once the powdery stuff has been set with something?

Answers

Best Answer

I think your thermal lined drapes are ready to be replaced. I owned several sets and would never buy again....the foam sticks to other parts and when you try to pull apart, pieces peel off....The fabric is probably not sun damaged, so if you cannot afford to replace, then my suggestion is to scrape off the backing and add plain fabric to the back. It's painstakingly slow work, but you get good results.

I have washed thermal lined curtains and found powder in between the curtain and thermal lining material, as well as damage on the coating. I shouldn't have used the spin cycle, maybe. As I react to the dust, I don't want bring these curtains inside. Should I cut the lining off and replace it with other fabric? I want to know if the coating is safe for us, too. Please help me.

By mhoney from New Zealand

Answers

By mums198 (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Thanks Kidsnclutter for your suggestion. A friend suggested similar, and I have actually managed to repair it quite well using bathroom silicone. The surface, however, was shinier than the surrounding areas, so I dusted the wet silicone with talcum powder. Not a bad job if I say so myself.

Recently I had some acrylic (rubber) backed curtains dry-cleaned and the backing broke down so that light shines through in various patches. Is there anyway they can be rescued? A separate backing was attached at a cost, but the light still shines through.

Pat from Brisbane

Answers:

Just a thought... What if you put a dollop of rubber cement (packaged in jar with a brush) on the back of the curtain where the light shines through, it's similar to the rubber backing. It might work. But you've already paid to have a second (fabric?) backing added so it gets a little tricky now, you don't want to ruin that also.

By kidsNclutter

I have thermal backed curtains which have been damaged by washing. Can the thermal backing be repaired, hopefully with a spray-on or brush-on product?

Julie from Qld, Australia

Answers:

Repairing Thermal Backing on Curtains

Thanks Kidsnclutter for your suggestion. A friend suggested similar, and I have actually managed to repair it quite well using bathroom silicone. The surface, however, was shinier than the surrounding areas, so I dusted the wet silicone with talcum powder. Not a bad job if I say so myself. (01/02/2008)

By mums198