Repairing Thermal Backing on Curtains

The white thermal backing on my curtains has been sun-damaged and resembles fine powder, possibly a breathing hazard. Since it's part of the curtain, is it possible to spray it with something or is that the end of the curtains? Perhaps I could make a lining once the powdery stuff has been set with something?

Best Answer

I think your thermal lined drapes are ready to be replaced. I owned several sets and would never buy again....the foam sticks to other parts and when you try to pull apart, pieces peel off....The fabric is probably not sun damaged, so if you cannot afford to replace, then my suggestion is to scrape off the backing and add plain fabric to the back. It's painstakingly slow work, but you get good results.

he white thermal backing on my curtains has been sun-damaged and resembles fine powder, possibly a breathing hazard. Since it's part of the curtain, is it possible to spray it with something or is that the end of the curtains?

Perhaps I could make a lining once the powdery stuff has been set with something?

I had new black-out curtains made and after about a year they started to break down with a white dust coming off them ,they also looked like a coffee had been spilt on them.I also started with a terrible coughing.I am sure this has caused my continued coughing,Just wondering if any one has had a problem with the white fine dust coming from the curtains.I am sure this is a health Hazzard to peoples lungs.

We have noticed the same thing. Removed all the curtains after I had begun to suffer a nagging, hacking continuous cough. The fine dust was everywhere in the bedrooms. These curtains were hung in two bedrooms. Have not been long in use. Thought the retailers would know and not sell these products.

Did your coughstop after you remov3d them?