Repairing Bathroom Throw Rugs with Crumbled Backing

Category Miscellaneous
There are a few products you can purchase to replace rubber backing on a deteriorating throw rug. This is a guide about repairing bathroom throw rugs with crumbled backing.

I have some very good bathroom rugs - the only problem is the rubber non-slip backing which is crumbling. Does anyone know if there's a way to rejuvenate these? Can the backing be removed in some way and a new one sprayed on? I also thought maybe I could sew fabric on the back but don't know how much trouble that would be.

I hate to throw these away as the top (rug) side looks like new. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

randysmom

Answers

Best Answer

You can use a piece inexpensive rubber matting, sold for this purpose, under the rug.

First thought is, how are you washing the rug? Putting it into the dryer will help to dry out the rubber ... also storing rubber back rugs in the closet will make the back deteriorate too.

Letting rugs air dry will extend the rugs life!

Syd

Best Answer

Here is how to repair those rugs. The white backing on the rug is a latex rubber. All you need is a jug of liquid latex and a paint brush.

Most carpet installer supply companies will carry the stuff as it is used when seaming certain types of carpet to prevent the edges from un-raveling.

Anyway, once you get the stuff simply brush on a thin layer and allow to dry at least overnight with the wet side up. When it feels dry to the touch all over, you are good to go.

What do you do with rugs that are still very useable, but the backing is coming off? I have tried to remove it by washing, but made the biggest mess in my washroom and all of the backing did not come off. Thanks in advance for any help.

By Owechko

Answers

Best Answer

Don't throw the bathroom rugs out that have lost their rubber backing. Get as much of the crumbles off as possible. Get rubber shelf lining to hold them in place, and position the rugs in your bathroom as you enter.

I must have 4 or 5 bathroom rugs in this condition, and would never consider throwing them out, because the carpet pile is still is excellent condition. Just remember when washing them, use cold water, then air dry!