Statute of Limitations for Excise Taxes

Does anyone have an idea of the statute of limitations the department of revenue has on collecting excise taxes, or do the even have a limit on how far back they can go? I am being hit with excise taxes from 2003 (4 years ago) for purchasing cigarettes online.

As far as I know there is no time limit on collecting taxes of any kind. I work at the credit bureau and I know that unpaid taxes stay on your credit report FOREVER until you pay them- they dont come off in seven years like other stuff. I heard of someone getting a bill for $3000.00 YEARS (like 6 or 7) after buying cigs online. It's not worth the savings to but them this way. Good luck!

Please see For use taxes, it says 6 years, with certain big exceptions. Good luck.

Can you make an appt. with IRS agent and:

1. try to get amount reduced you owe

2. "I didn't know" or I would have not purchased them on the internet. There are no warnings about taxes after the fact.

3. talk to your congress person

Budget & Finance TaxesJune 20, 2007
Car Accident
Statute of Limitations for Car Accidents
Taller Toilet
Purchasing a Taller Toilet
Online Sales Tax
Saving Money on Taxes
Cabinet with Multi-colored Hanging Files
Organizing Paperwork For Taxes