Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Soap Scum on Granite

I have granite countertops and around each of my faucet handles is what looks like soap scum but I am not sure what it is. It has been there since we purchased our house. It is white and when wiped or cleaned it looks like it goes away but then reappears. Is this soap scum or something else and how do I clean it? Can you use a pumice stone on granite?

Debbi from North Carolina

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By chicdecor (Guest Post)08/22/2008

Stay away from window cleaner or even vinegar! Anything that is near granite must be pH netural so no acids and window cleaner usually includes ammonia. Scrape with a straight edge razor and then use a mixture of water, rubbing alchohol and a speck of DAWN detergent. That is what I have found in my travels searching for homemade granite cleaner. A tile lady told me that regularly using the hottest water possible to clean the counters works followed by a dry microfibre towel.

By Amy (Guest Post)05/10/2008

I just realized how badly I have OCD! LOL! I've been sitting on my computer for an hour looking up comments on how to clean! Oh my. Thanks for the suggestions ladies. I have the same problem. I used a toothbrush and it seems to work for a while. It's something that you should do at least once a month to prevent stains reappearing.

By Ruth Counter [2]03/30/2006

More from Vicka...sorry, I forgot to add that granite needs to be recoated every so many years, depending on condition. Check with a granite guy.

By Ruth Counter [2]03/30/2006

DON'T USE VINEGAR ON GRANITE, as it eats the finish put on at the time of installation. To clean white hardwater stains or anything else gucky that gets stuck on, slide a razor scrapper around, don't gouge with the razor corners.

After scraping, rinsing and drying, polish with spray Pledge. This will keep it looking good for a while. This has to become part of the regular cleaning regimen. The harder the water, the more often. Our granite installer told me this. Also he said to never use vinegar or lemon juice as that will eat the finish.

By Pat Giles03/30/2006

I suspect that is calcium deposit. Check to see if CLR, or its equivalent, is safe on granite.

By Carol in PA (Guest Post)03/30/2006

What you have sounds to me like lime buildup from your water supply. The reason I think that is because it comes back. I always use a soft old toothbrush to clean the crevices around my faucets and sinks. Any cleaner will do, but window cleaner is good. Dont use anything abrasive on your fixtures or countertops.. It may scracth them. Whenever you need to "scrub" use liquid with it as a lubricant. Also, you might try dental floss around your faucets. I've read about that, but never had to use it. I'm in love with my old, soft toothbrushes.. I put them in the dishwasher to clean them after I clean with them...
Best of luck.

By jmz2005 (Guest Post)03/30/2006

I started pouring a little vinegar around my faucets in kitchen and bathroom, let sit for a few mins, and wipe clean with paper towels. I dont know if this can be done on granite, but i know it works well on stainless steel and whatever the bathroom sink is.