Emergency Hemming With Staples

contest winner icon

I bought a last minute pair of thrift shop jeans when I found I went off for a weekend without them. New $5 - good deal. But they were too long and I didn't have needle and thread with me. My crafty husband suggested I staple the hems up and you know, the silver color of the staple doesn't really show against the jeans much at all. I'll do that again.

By Pam from Los Angeles

I did this all the time my three sons were growing up. If I hemmed the jeans, every time I had to wash them, I had to rip and re-sew. By stapleing them, I just took the staples out, washed them and re-stapled them - with the long solid part of the staple on the inside.

How ingenious! You have a real "gem" of a husband, I'd say. Thanks for sharing this very good tip.

i agree it does work in a pinch. BUT i work with a doctor mind you who has either taped or stapled ALL of her clothing together. i have never seen her wear something that wasnt just holding together with some kind of help from staples or tape.

To make the staples less obvious, coat a strip with permanent marker (black, blue, etc.) insert in stapler and staple away!

M.J.

I read your suggestion on how the staples did not show thru your jeans but I must worn you about something. With summer nearly here and with more sunshine, your silver staples will kick off a reflector beam when touched by the sun light and they will become very noticeable to others Have tried this method and was soon carrying needle and thread. For on the spot fixes, you only need to carry one needle and transparent thread as the color of the fabric is what others will see until you can make fixes at home.

Consumer Advice Clothing RepairingFebruary 6, 2007
Emergency Reflector
Make Your Own Emergency Reflectors
Singer Stitch Sew Quick
Singer Stitch Sew Quick Reviews
Prepare your home for an emergency.
Preparing For Emergency Situations
Dog looking sad.
Emergency Preparedness Tips for Pet Owners
🎉
🎄