Adding Clear Sachet Pellets from Walmart to Heat Therapy Rice Bags

Has anyone used the fragrance sachet from Walmart, that are clear pellets, for adding scent in the pillows you can put in the microwave for pain? I am afraid they might catch fire, but I am hoping someone has used them. I already combined the pellets with rice to make the bags, but now I am wondering if they are safe.

By Linda from Grand Ledge, MI

I would not try it. I'm afraid if they didn't catch fire (or ruin your microwave oven), they might release plastic "fumes" or chemicals that could be harmful to you or your family. If you want nice scents, add some dried herbs/flowers, such as lavender or hops. If you sew the pillows yourself, make a little "pocket" on one side, and you can make little sachets to put in it, making it easy to refresh the scent over time. You can also get linen sprays and just spray the cover periodically.

It is the moisture in the rice/corn/wheat/flax seeds that is warmed by the microwaves. Plastic would not have this moisture, and would not warm the same way.

Seeing that you already mixed them, why not use those pillows like neck rolls for comfort in the car? The scent will keep the car smelling fresh, and what passenger wouldn't enjoy the pillow?

If you mean the scent things that are more like a jelly, they might be microwavable; but you may need to contact the manufacturer (their email should be on the package) to know if it is safe. Be careful, as they may cause the grain inside to mold.

I was thinking the scented pellets might melt if heated in the microwwave. I wouldn't recommend it. Make your pillows without scent to be safe.

I am almost certain the kind of pellets you are talking about are petroleum based wax and therefore would melt and perhaps cause fire.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and ideas. Although I had thought of using lavender, someone had suggested that it could catch fire, too. I decided to use vanilla flavored tea for a light scent, and I also used scented oil in one of the rice pillows. It is just not worth using something that might catch fire in your microwave.

Crafts AdviceFebruary 9, 2011
Wood Pellets
Making Your Own Wood Pellets
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Side of Spanish rice.
Making Spanish Rice in the Rice Cooker
Parking Lot of Large Walmart
Saving Money at Walmart