Browsing: Homemade Weed Killer Recipes

Hot and Spicy Weed Killer

I have used the same method for many years now. Who would know that a huge mistake could turn out to be something useful years later? Maybe many ideas come to use that way, this one for sure did.

We were boiling shrimp with some friends when I lived in Louisiana. Being young and trying not to show it, actually taught me two things in the same weekend. One: do not put shrimp down the garbage disposal. Two: the hot mixture of spices kills your grass almost instantly! I do pretty much everything I can organically. If I still lived in the South where you boil shrimp or crawfish often, I would just use the left over water to pour on all my weeds. Since I have moved from there, now I make a special "brew" to kill all of those weeds, without hurting the environment. The ones that come up through cracks in driveway or close to the steps can't hide from this hot and spicy weed killer.

You take Cajun pepper (red pepper will do) and hot sauce, vinegar can also be added if you have extra. Bring it to a boil and pour directly on any area where you want everything to die. Be very careful not to get it on grass you want to stay alive. Anything this hot mixture is put on will die (ants don't like it either). If you make more then you use at any given time, put in bottle for next time. This works cool, but I have found it works faster when boiled, steaming hot. If you aren't wanting to see results immediately, know it works after mixture has cooled off.

I add a half jar of Cajun or red pepper and half a bottle of hot sauce to a large pot of water. You just know it is ready when your eyes are watering and the room fills with the smell of the mixture. I have added left over pickle juice, vinegar, even jalapeno juice to this, depending what is left over in my fridge or cabinets. This works and works well without hurting anything in the air; animals tend not to eat in that area but it doesn't hurt them.

If you do boil shrimp, crab or crawfish, please drain the water where any unwanted weeds are so you get double use out of something you would just throw away. At most markets that sell seafood, they have bags with seasoning already in it. I always ask this time of the year to let me know if any are past the selling date. A couple of times I got lucky and was able to get the boil in bag seasoning for a dollar. Any of these ingredients can be found at the Dollar Store. With no more worries about pulling weeds, maybe you will have more time to enjoy this beautiful time of the year.

By Luana M. from San Diego, CA

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

I'm definitely going to try this one. I've got out of control grass on my patio and no weed whacker.

Hi, wouldn't just boiling water from your jug do the same thing?

Better late then not..sorry didnt answer the question asked. Maybe boiling water would wilt the weed but not kill the roots of it. This is fool proof; works and most of all kills it at the root.

Of course Mother nature will return but that unwanted grass,weeds or over-growth will never return.

God bless and thanks for feedback!

Homemade Weed Killer Recipes
Homemade Weed Killer Recipes
Home and Garden Gardening WeedsMarch 22, 2012
Salt and Vinegar Weed Killer Recipe
Salt and Vinegar Weed Killer Recipe
Woman Holding Her Mouth With Chili Pepper
Stopping the Burn from Spicy Food
Vinegar
Killing Weeds With Vinegar
Ants on the wall of a house.
Homemade Ant Killer Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 26, 2016 at 1:14:20 AM on 10.0.2.217 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.