Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Broccoli and Brussel Sprout Leaves

Are the leaves of the brussel sprout plant and the broccoli plant edible?

EGRIBBLE from Killeen, TX

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Sylvia W.Haywood05/29/2012

Shaved Brussel Sprouts with Pancetta

1 tsp. evoo
2 oz. Pancetta
1/4 cup Shallots, chopped
1 lb Wegmans Shaved Brussels Sprouts (Wegmans is an absolutely wonderful super market in the Fredericksburg Virginia area, but you can make your own Shaved Sprouts if they are not available in your area - just slice each sprout very thin.)

Note: The recipe came from Wegmans as well.
1/4 cup Wegmans Basting Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/4 cup Wegmans Apple Vinegar Spritzer

1 Add oo and pancetta to large skillet. Cook on MEDIUM about 5 min. until pancetta begins to render fat, but is not browned.

2 Add shallots, Brussels Sprouts and basting oil. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, Stirring, until vegetables are nearly softened, but not browned. Remove from heat.

3 Add Apple Vinegar Spritzer and toss. Serve and enjoy a little piece of heaven!

My daughter's husband and one son, who normally won't touch Brussels Sprouts really loved this dish, so she and I didn't get quite as much as we would have liked.

By Russel (Guest Post)11/17/2008

When it is getting cold and plants won't survive much longer, one can shred brussel sprout leaves and blanch in boiling water for a few minutes in order to freeze for later use. (Don't fully cook.) Then the leaves can be used in soup or stir-fried with other vegetables later, after the season is over.

By Russel (Guest Post)11/17/2008

Brussel sprout leaves are so much of the plant and so nutritious that it would certainly be a waste not to eat them. Great cooked like spinach or greens.

By ron (Guest Post)10/08/2008

Try them like beef & broccoli stir fry with oyster sauce I ve never goten sick on brussell sprout leaves.

By D-Mc04/10/2008

I eat the leaves from broccoli a lot. Many leaves from vegetables are just as edible as the vegetable itself. Celery leaves are great in soups and broths.

By Judy (Guest Post)11/11/2007

I just made a soup using some chopped up brussel sprout leaves. It came out delicious. We grew six brussel sprout plants and when I harvest them I decided to try to use the leaves in a soup so I chopped about 5 leaves in two packages of Ramen noodles. I also added some leftover cooked chicken. It came out wonderful and so easy. Judy from Massachusetts

By Janice (Guest Post)11/03/2007

YES! They are very edible, as are radish leaves. You cook them the same as you would mustard greens. They are delicious.

By Lynda (Guest Post)11/01/2007

The thin stalks don't need peeling, but the thick stalks are tough-skinned and need to be both peeled or sliced/diced. We prefer steamed until tender, with Oriental Ginger Salad Dressing with toasted sesame seeds poured over it all, or sprinkle Stubbs Ginger/Rosemary Seasoning like salt. Yummmm.

During these cooler months, however, many sick folks are inconsiderate or thoughtless, and both shop when coughing/ill and handle fresh produce, so we stop buying fresh things in Nov. through May , unless packaged well, during the Flu season, avoiding it most of the time. We buy fresh frozen instead. Good luck and God bless.

By Kat [7]11/01/2007

As far as I know the broccoli ones are. I do not know about the Brussels sprouts ones. I used to buy fresh broccoli for stir fry, and I'd cut the florets bite-sized, then peel and slice the stems like water chestnuts, and throw all the leaves in, too. MMM! Even picky kids and adults would gobble it down. I haven't done this in a while because I found out I have multiple allergies and have not found a good stir fry sauce or recipe for sauce, so far.