Do Possums Hibernate?

Do possums hibernate?

David from Stockton, CA

Showing: Answers Sort

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

No opossums do not hibernate, they may den up in cold weather, but will come out to eat.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By KL 3 554 Flag

according to a The Possum Pages website...

>>>Do opossums hibernate during winter?

Opossums do not hibernate. Their greatest challenge during winter, especially in colder climates, is simply to survive. Very often opossums will alter their foraging habits during winter, coming out during the day when it is warmer rather than at night. It is not uncommon for opossums in northern regions to suffer frostbite during extremely cold periods. Their tails are particularly susceptible to frostbite as they have no fur covering to protect them. Sometimes opossums can be found relocating to basements or garages in order to escape the cold. The only way to prevent this is to make sure all openings are fully covered.

SOURCE:

http://opossum.craton.net/faqs.htm

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By vickie guy 42 101 Flag

I had a family of opossums in my backyard shed one winter, so I would say they definately try to find a place to get out of the cold weather.

vguy

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Not here in N Y. They come and eat from my bird feeders, if they can get to them. They go up the pole, and hang on any way they can, to get to my bird food day or night!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

OK Next question. I live in WI & have one sleeping in my chicken coop. Will it eat my chickens?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I was wondering about possum's hibernating. I live in Cedar Grove, WI and my husband and I manage a small motel about a mile from town. We put out dry cat food to feed some of the stray cats and the food is put between our kitchen door and the door to the office. We have a possum that comes up to the doors to eat the cat food. We just found out where it has been living. We have an old coke machine that does not work and the possum is living inside the machine.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I need to get rid of my possum in my back yard.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I went to go move our garbage can and there is an opossum in it.I put the garbage can on its side so the opossum could get out. I went back outside 3 times and it moved to the garden but its not playing opossum.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Opossum on Fence
Opossum Information and Photos
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Pet Turtle
Hibernating Pet Turtles Indoors
Opossum on Fence
Opossum Information and Photos
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 9:55:53 PM on 10.0.1.8 in 945 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings