Question

Share | Account | About
Share>Account>About>

Natural Chipmunk Repellents

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Yellow pine chipmunk on a rock.

Chipmunks, while cute, can also be unwelcome visitors to your garden. This is a guide about natural chipmunk repellents.

Here are questions related to Natural Chipmunk Repellents.

Question: Keeping Chipmunks Out of Garden

Will the chipmunks tunnel outside of the treated area and still be able to get into the garden? Also, I have raised beds and am concerned about them tunneling under the beds even with the area around the bed being treated.

By JH

Most Recent Answer

By Jack P.08/19/2013

Though it may seem odd try sprinkling paprika on the area, most garden intruders do not like the taste.

Question: Squirrel Repellent

How do I make a spray using cayenne pepper to deter these rodents?

By MR from England

Question: How to Make Homemade Squirrel Repellent

I need a recipe for homemade squirrel repellent. Thank you.

By Butch

Most Recent Answer

By Linda Delcamp06/13/2011

You can try googling for a recipe on squirrel repellents. I think if you go on ehow.com you will come up with quite a few of them.

Question: Trouble with Chipmunks

Can a chipmunk make a burrow under a concrete slab? This chipmunk also ate through sealant to close holes. Is that normal? It has been pulling the carpet fibers out of the carpet too.

By Lisa from NJ

Most Recent Answer

By vicki hood02/26/2011

She is pregnant. Do not hurt her. She is gathering fiber for her nest. For areas that you wish she would stay out of, spread cayenne pepper.

Question: Natural Chipmunk Repellent

We have a chipmunk living under our slab foundation. We have tried everything to get rid of it, chemicals that smell like foxes' urine and gasoline down the hole.

We need help?

By Nana

Most Recent Answer

By Phillep07/24/2010

Mothballs are supposed to work. Relocating the chipmunk is illegal and cruel, often causing them to die of change shock (usual cause of death among housecats abandoned alongside the road or that run away at the vet's). More humane to just kill them with a large rat trap. Find out what draws them to your yard, and change it if possible.

Question: Homemade Squirrel Repellent

I need a recipe for squirrel repellent that does not keep the birds away too. I found one made with cayenne powder, but that will hurt the birds, won't it? These rodents eat a small fortune in birdseed!

By Leigh from Litchfeild County, CT

Most Recent Answer

By wulfgar03/09/2011

I've been dealing with squirrels and moles in my garden and bird feeders forever, the methods that employ the use of dry herbs such as cayenne pepper are useless, save the cayenne for homemade chili. The solar "pounders" are also a wast of money. The best formula that i have found for squirrels and moles is this : add 1 tablespoon of castor oil to 2 tablespoons of ordinary dish soap add 6 tablespoons of water and mix until it has a whipped cream consistency. Spray the area down with a garden hose soak it nicely, then connect your garden sprayer to the hose with the "solution" added to sprayer. Soak the area down. This works for 2 weeks to a month. It may seem like a hassle but the thing is it works!( Optional ingredients include 1 tablespoon of powdered alum and human urine, yes urine! First it is a natural fear factor for the animals, second, it also breaks down into ammonia which is of course repellent, and good for plant growth).

Question: Squirrel and Chipmunk Deterrents

Question:

We are having a real problem with squirrels and chipmunks digging in our garden. What can I do other than traps? I don't have time to trap and release a few miles away. I don't want to kill them, just discourage them.

Hardiness Zone: 5b

Thanks,
Jeanne from Albany,NY

Answer:

Jeanne,

The most effective way to prevent squirrels and chipmunks from digging in your garden is to cover your soil with metal screening or hardware cloth (using a 1/2 inch grid squares or smaller). Bury the screen just below the soil and use rocks to hold it in place. Of course, covering your soil with screen or mesh is really only practical if your garden is small or you're trying to protect individual pots. Some temporary deterrents you might want to try include predator urine, mothballs and other strong smelling scents-all readily available at garden centers. I don't recommend sprays or other products containing hot peppers. If these get into the animal's eyes, they can seriously injure or even blind themselves in an attempt to alleviate the pain caused by the oil in the peppers. I can think of nothing more horrifying than watching a half blind animal run frantically around the garden writhing in pain. My method of dealing with these garden critters isn't always popular with everyone, but it works for me. I've resorted to feeding them. Squirrels love corn, peanuts, peanut butter, fresh and dried fruit, dry dog food and black oil sunflower seeds. By feeding them during the height of my garden's productivity, I have successfully distracted them from deflowering and de-fruiting my plants. I use a simple wooden box on the ground placed about 50 feet away from my garden. As an added bonus, they seem to have lost all interest in my bird feeders, too.

Good luck!
Ellen

By Ellen Brown

Most Recent Answer

By (Guest Post)08/03/2008

I listened to a garden show this morning where this guy swears by peppermint oil mixed with water and sprayed in the area he wants to deter the squirrels from. I ordered some today to spray in the area of my bird feeder to see if it works?

Solutions: Natural Chipmunk Repellents

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!