Browsing: Natural Chipmunk Repellents

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Natural Chipmunk Repellents

Chipmunks, while cute, can also be unwelcome visitors to your garden. This is a guide about natural chipmunk repellents.

Yellow pine chipmunk on a rock.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

July 17, 2010 Flag

We have a chipmunk living under our slab foundation. We have tried everything to get rid of it, chemicals that smell like foxes' urine and gasoline down the hole.

We need help?

By Nana

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I also have chipmonks. I can't ge trid of them completely but I do controll them. I bought a "hav a hart" trap at the local hardware store. I bait the trap with sunflower seeds. When I trap one I take it for a ride about 10 miles away and release it. No need for any sprays or chemicals. Every one ends up happy.

Best Answer

Mothballs are supposed to work. Relocating the chipmunk is illegal and cruel, often causing them to die of change shock (usual cause of death among housecats abandoned alongside the road or that run away at the vet's). More humane to just kill them with a large rat trap. Find out what draws them to your yard, and change it if possible.

My friend's 80+ yr old mom has these and sets gopher traps. They eat the underside of her deck and steps. As rodents do, you must do. I do not make friends with mice or rats either. They go. Will save thousands of dollars of needed repair. Those who think we should protect all varmits apparently don't live where they are cumbersome, destroy house and home, eat the wires in the attics, etc and create fires as well as health code violations and fire codes.

A skunk wandering into the garage will also not be met friendly either.

Depends on the state....but from your comment, obviously you have little experience with wild animals.

June 24, 2010 Flag

I need a recipe for squirrel repellent that does not keep the birds away too. I found one made with cayenne powder, but that will hurt the birds, won't it? These rodents eat a small fortune in birdseed!

By Leigh from Litchfeild County, CT

This isn't a repellent, but try putting an ear of corn out for the squirrels. They will work at that instead of eating the birdfeed. Works pretty good for us.

My husband put a wire cable between two trees and hung the bird feeder on the wire. There is about 20 feet between the trees with no low hanging branches. While the squirrels may sit at each end where the bolt goes into the trees, they cannot walk on this wire. The feeder is high enough off the ground so they can't jump up either. This has worked for several years, so unless I find a squirrel with a ladder, or stilts I feel I can feed my birds and not go broke doing it.

I too am having trouble with squirrels digging in my potted plants, so I found this site on natural ways to stop them.

Here is the site:

http://www.ehow.com/way_5600750_home-remedies-getting-rid-squirrels.html

I hope that it is helpful to you!

I've been dealing with squirrels and moles in my garden and bird feeders forever, the methods that employ the use of dry herbs such as cayenne pepper are useless, save the cayenne for homemade chili. The solar "pounders" are also a wast of money. The best formula that i have found for squirrels and moles is this : add 1 tablespoon of castor oil to 2 tablespoons of ordinary dish soap add 6 tablespoons of water and mix until it has a whipped cream consistency. Spray the area down with a garden hose soak it nicely, then connect your garden sprayer to the hose with the "solution" added to sprayer. Soak the area down. This works for 2 weeks to a month. It may seem like a hassle but the thing is it works!( Optional ingredients include 1 tablespoon of powdered alum and human urine, yes urine! First it is a natural fear factor for the animals, second, it also breaks down into ammonia which is of course repellent, and good for plant growth).

August 31, 2006 Flag

Question:

We are having a real problem with squirrels and chipmunks digging in our garden. What can I do other than traps? I don't have time to trap and release a few miles away. I don't want to kill them, just discourage them.

Hardiness Zone: 5b

Thanks,
Jeanne from Albany,NY

Answer:

Jeanne,

The most effective way to prevent squirrels and chipmunks from digging in your garden is to cover your soil with metal screening or hardware cloth (using a 1/2 inch grid squares or smaller). Bury the screen just below the soil and use rocks to hold it in place. Of course, covering your soil with screen or mesh is really only practical if your garden is small or you're trying to protect individual pots. Some temporary deterrents you might want to try include predator urine, mothballs and other strong smelling scents-all readily available at garden centers. I don't recommend sprays or other products containing hot peppers. If these get into the animal's eyes, they can seriously injure or even blind themselves in an attempt to alleviate the pain caused by the oil in the peppers. I can think of nothing more horrifying than watching a half blind animal run frantically around the garden writhing in pain. My method of dealing with these garden critters isn't always popular with everyone, but it works for me. I've resorted to feeding them. Squirrels love corn, peanuts, peanut butter, fresh and dried fruit, dry dog food and black oil sunflower seeds. By feeding them during the height of my garden's productivity, I have successfully distracted them from deflowering and de-fruiting my plants. I use a simple wooden box on the ground placed about 50 feet away from my garden. As an added bonus, they seem to have lost all interest in my bird feeders, too.

Good luck!
Ellen

I have been buying from www.gardensalive.com for a long time. Great products & excellent service. They have humane & environmentally friendly products. They have a lot of humane solutions to critter problems. Or you could do as I do & feed them elsewhere. I have a "cafe" for the squirrels, chipmunks, ducks et. in my front yard. I don't have a garden now but I did for yrs. & they never bothered it.

Have you ever thought of taking a large can of RED OR BLACK HOT PEPPER and sprinkling it on the ground where they will be. It would get into the fur and feet...after cleaning it/them, I can guarantee you they will stay away from your area once they figure out that they always have something hot in their mouths after cleaning themselves from being there!. It won't take them long to figure out that that is not a good place for them to be at all!

Good Luck!

Would feeding them help? Placing a table feeder or other accessable means for them to eat AWAY from the garden may help. (as Vic suggested)

Also, a few birds of prey will nest in man-made nesting boxes. You could maybe place those around the place. By upping the population of such birds should effectively down the number of the rodents. (Just be careful with this, as the majority of the birdhouses this size also happen to be the same size used for what you are getting rid of).

Cats may also help!

I listened to a garden show this morning where this guy swears by peppermint oil mixed with water and sprayed in the area he wants to deter the squirrels from. I ordered some today to spray in the area of my bird feeder to see if it works?

Read More Answers...

August 19, 2013 Flag

Will the chipmunks tunnel outside of the treated area and still be able to get into the garden? Also, I have raised beds and am concerned about them tunneling under the beds even with the area around the bed being treated.

By JH

Though it may seem odd try sprinkling paprika on the area, most garden intruders do not like the taste.

May 25, 2011 Flag

I need a recipe for homemade squirrel repellent. Thank you.

By Butch

Lord, I hope someone comes up with something I cannot stand the squirrels here either.

You can try googling for a recipe on squirrel repellents. I think if you go on ehow.com you will come up with quite a few of them.

February 24, 2011 Flag

Can a chipmunk make a burrow under a concrete slab? This chipmunk also ate through sealant to close holes. Is that normal? It has been pulling the carpet fibers out of the carpet too.

Bees
Homemade Bee Repellents
Hand feeding a rescued chipmunk.
Caring for a Rescued Chipmunk
Natural Repellents for Lizards
Natural Repellents for Lizards
Homemade Insect Repellents
Homemade Natural Insect Repellents
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 5:42:45 PM on 10.0.0.143 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.