Natural Chipmunk Repellents

Chipmunks, while cute, can also be unwelcome visitors to your garden. This is a guide about natural chipmunk repellents.

Yellow pine chipmunk on a rock.
Filter Sort

Question: Squirrel and Chipmunk Deterrents

By JeanneFox 9 1

Question:

We are having a real problem with squirrels and chipmunks digging in our garden. What can I do other than traps? I don't have time to trap and release a few miles away. I don't want to kill them, just discourage them.

Hardiness Zone: 5b

Thanks,
Jeanne from Albany,NY

Answer:

Jeanne,

The most effective way to prevent squirrels and chipmunks from digging in your garden is to cover your soil with metal screening or hardware cloth (using a 1/2 inch grid squares or smaller). Bury the screen just below the soil and use rocks to hold it in place. Of course, covering your soil with screen or mesh is really only practical if your garden is small or you're trying to protect individual pots. Some temporary deterrents you might want to try include predator urine, mothballs and other strong smelling scents-all readily available at garden centers. I don't recommend sprays or other products containing hot peppers. If these get into the animal's eyes, they can seriously injure or even blind themselves in an attempt to alleviate the pain caused by the oil in the peppers. I can think of nothing more horrifying than watching a half blind animal run frantically around the garden writhing in pain. My method of dealing with these garden critters isn't always popular with everyone, but it works for me. I've resorted to feeding them. Squirrels love corn, peanuts, peanut butter, fresh and dried fruit, dry dog food and black oil sunflower seeds. By feeding them during the height of my garden's productivity, I have successfully distracted them from deflowering and de-fruiting my plants. I use a simple wooden box on the ground placed about 50 feet away from my garden. As an added bonus, they seem to have lost all interest in my bird feeders, too.

Good luck!
Ellen

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I listened to a garden show this morning where this guy swears by peppermint oil mixed with water and sprayed in the area he wants to deter the squirrels from. I ordered some today to spray in the area of my bird feeder to see if it works?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Natural Chipmunk Repellent

By Nana 1

We have a chipmunk living under our slab foundation. We have tried everything to get rid of it, chemicals that smell like foxes' urine and gasoline down the hole.

We need help?

By Nana

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Phillep 4 Flag

Mothballs are supposed to work. Relocating the chipmunk is illegal and cruel, often causing them to die of change shock (usual cause of death among housecats abandoned alongside the road or that run away at the vet's). More humane to just kill them with a large rat trap. Find out what draws them to your yard, and change it if possible.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Homemade Squirrel Repellent

By Leigh 18 63

I need a recipe for squirrel repellent that does not keep the birds away too. I found one made with cayenne powder, but that will hurt the birds, won't it? These rodents eat a small fortune in birdseed!

By Leigh from Litchfeild County, CT

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By wulfgar 1 Flag

I've been dealing with squirrels and moles in my garden and bird feeders forever, the methods that employ the use of dry herbs such as cayenne pepper are useless, save the cayenne for homemade chili. The solar "pounders" are also a wast of money. The best formula that i have found for squirrels and moles is this : add 1 tablespoon of castor oil to 2 tablespoons of ordinary dish soap add 6 tablespoons of water and mix until it has a whipped cream consistency. Spray the area down with a garden hose soak it nicely, then connect your garden sprayer to the hose with the "solution" added to sprayer. Soak the area down. This works for 2 weeks to a month. It may seem like a hassle but the thing is it works!( Optional ingredients include 1 tablespoon of powdered alum and human urine, yes urine! First it is a natural fear factor for the animals, second, it also breaks down into ammonia which is of course repellent, and good for plant growth).

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: How to Make Homemade Squirrel Repellent

I need a recipe for homemade squirrel repellent. Thank you.

By Butch

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Linda Delcamp 48 19 Flag

You can try googling for a recipe on squirrel repellents. I think if you go on ehow.com you will come up with quite a few of them.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Trouble with Chipmunks

By Lisa 1

Can a chipmunk make a burrow under a concrete slab? This chipmunk also ate through sealant to close holes. Is that normal? It has been pulling the carpet fibers out of the carpet too.

By Lisa from NJ

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By vicki hood 4 563 Flag

She is pregnant. Do not hurt her. She is gathering fiber for her nest. For areas that you wish she would stay out of, spread cayenne pepper.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Keeping Chipmunks Out of Garden

Will the chipmunks tunnel outside of the treated area and still be able to get into the garden? Also, I have raised beds and am concerned about them tunneling under the beds even with the area around the bed being treated.

By JH

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Jack P. 5 Flag

Though it may seem odd try sprinkling paprika on the area, most garden intruders do not like the taste.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Squirrel Repellent

How do I make a spray using cayenne pepper to deter these rodents?

By MR from England

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Bees
Homemade Bee Repellents
Photo of foodready to compost.
Mother Nature's Best Fertilizers and Bug Repellents
Natural Repellents for Lizards
Natural Repellents for Lizards
Homemade Insect Repellents
Homemade Natural Insect Repellents
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 10:27:37 AM on 10.0.0.34 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestions
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings