Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Natural Chipmunk Repellents

Chipmunks, while cute, can also be unwelcome visitors to your garden. This is a guide about natural chipmunk repellents.

July 17, 2010 Flag

We have a chipmunk living under our slab foundation. We have tried everything to get rid of it, chemicals that smell like foxes' urine and gasoline down the hole.

We need help?

By Nana

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I also have chipmonks. I can't ge trid of them completely but I do controll them. I bought a "hav a hart" trap at the local hardware store. I bait the trap with sunflower seeds. When I trap one I take it for a ride about 10 miles away and release it. No need for any sprays or chemicals. Every one ends up happy.

Best Answer

Mothballs are supposed to work. Relocating the chipmunk is illegal and cruel, often causing them to die of change shock (usual cause of death among housecats abandoned alongside the road or that run away at the vet's). More humane to just kill them with a large rat trap. Find out what draws them to your yard, and change it if possible.

My friend's 80+ yr old mom has these and sets gopher traps. They eat the underside of her deck and steps. As rodents do, you must do. I do not make friends with mice or rats either. They go. Will save thousands of dollars of needed repair. Those who think we should protect all varmits apparently don't live where they are cumbersome, destroy house and home, eat the wires in the attics, etc and create fires as well as health code violations and fire codes.

A skunk wandering into the garage will also not be met friendly either.

Depends on the state....but from your comment, obviously you have little experience with wild animals.

August 31, 2006 Flag

Question:

We are having a real problem with squirrels and chipmunks digging in our garden. What can I do other than traps? I don't have time to trap and release a few miles away. I don't want to kill them, just discourage them.

Hardiness Zone: 5b

Thanks,
Jeanne from Albany,NY

Answer:

Jeanne,

The most effective way to prevent squirrels and chipmunks from digging in your garden is to cover your soil with metal screening or hardware cloth (using a 1/2 inch grid squares or smaller). Bury the screen just below the soil and use rocks to hold it in place. Of course, covering your soil with screen or mesh is really only practical if your garden is small or you're trying to protect individual pots. Some temporary deterrents you might want to try include predator urine, mothballs and other strong smelling scents-all readily available at garden centers. I don't recommend sprays or other products containing hot peppers. If these get into the animal's eyes, they can seriously injure or even blind themselves in an attempt to alleviate the pain caused by the oil in the peppers. I can think of nothing more horrifying than watching a half blind animal run frantically around the garden writhing in pain. My method of dealing with these garden critters isn't always popular with everyone, but it works for me. I've resorted to feeding them. Squirrels love corn, peanuts, peanut butter, fresh and dried fruit, dry dog food and black oil sunflower seeds. By feeding them during the height of my garden's productivity, I have successfully distracted them from deflowering and de-fruiting my plants. I use a simple wooden box on the ground placed about 50 feet away from my garden. As an added bonus, they seem to have lost all interest in my bird feeders, too.

Good luck!
Ellen

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Not many solutions.Moth balls soap and some other foolish ideas won't deter the critters.You could net or enclose the area so they can't get in.One other solution that could work is spraying coyote or fox urine.However,it must be srayed after every rain storm as the rain will wash it away.Home Depot used to sell it for $17 a gallon.I don't know if they do now.I trap them the ones around my house then release them some distance away.

I have been buying from www.gardensalive.com for a long time. Great products & excellent service. They have humane & environmentally friendly products. They have a lot of humane solutions to critter problems. Or you could do as I do & feed them elsewhere. I have a "cafe" for the squirrels, chipmunks, ducks et. in my front yard. I don't have a garden now but I did for yrs. & they never bothered it.

Have you ever thought of taking a large can of RED OR BLACK HOT PEPPER and sprinkling it on the ground where they will be. It would get into the fur and feet...after cleaning it/them, I can guarantee you they will stay away from your area once they figure out that they always have something hot in their mouths after cleaning themselves from being there!. It won't take them long to figure out that that is not a good place for them to be at all!

Good Luck!

Would feeding them help? Placing a table feeder or other accessable means for them to eat AWAY from the garden may help. (as Vic suggested)

Also, a few birds of prey will nest in man-made nesting boxes. You could maybe place those around the place. By upping the population of such birds should effectively down the number of the rodents. (Just be careful with this, as the majority of the birdhouses this size also happen to be the same size used for what you are getting rid of).

Cats may also help!

I listened to a garden show this morning where this guy swears by peppermint oil mixed with water and sprayed in the area he wants to deter the squirrels from. I ordered some today to spray in the area of my bird feeder to see if it works?

August 19, 2013 Flag

Will the chipmunks tunnel outside of the treated area and still be able to get into the garden? Also, I have raised beds and am concerned about them tunneling under the beds even with the area around the bed being treated.

By JH

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Though it may seem odd try sprinkling paprika on the area, most garden intruders do not like the taste.

February 24, 2011 Flag

Can a chipmunk make a burrow under a concrete slab? This chipmunk also ate through sealant to close holes. Is that normal? It has been pulling the carpet fibers out of the carpet too.

By Lisa from NJ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Chipmonks are a burrowing critter so they can make a tunnel under a concrete slab. I have them living in my stone walls which they seem to prefer. Although I have seen them make burrows next to my birch trees. I have a hav-a-heart trap that I bait with seeds. When I catch one I release the critter about 10 miles from the house. I will never get rid of them but I can control how many are running around the property.

She is pregnant. Do not hurt her. She is gathering fiber for her nest. For areas that you wish she would stay out of, spread cayenne pepper.

Bees
Homemade Bee Repellents
Hand feeding a rescued chipmunk.
Caring for a Rescued Chipmunk
Natural Repellents for Lizards
Natural Repellents for Lizards
Homemade Insect Repellents
Homemade Natural Insect Repellents
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 22, 2017 at 1:36:07 PM on 10.0.0.111 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.