Homemade Bee Repellents

0
Share
Save
Follow
Print

Milk jug hive.I saw a faux "beehive" in a gardening catalog that is used to trick bees into thinking there is already a bee colony/hive in a certain area. Bees are territorial and won't nest where another hive is. You can use this under a porch roof, in a shed, or playhouse, etc. Anywhere bees would nest that you don't want them.

So, being cheap, I mean thrifty, I made my own for almost nothing and it worked! Take a gallon plastic milk jug and poke two holes in the bottom about two inches apart for a wire clothes hanger to hang it. I used newspaper strips to make paper-mache with cornstarch and water. I took the milk jug and sort of squished it to make it more of a hive shape, more oval-y. I cut the handle off. Take a wire hanger and open it up straight. Make a "u" shape on one end to thread through the two holes on the the bottom of the jug. Thread that curved end of the hanger through the bottom for your hanger. Dip the strips of newspaper in the cornstarch/water mix. Squeeze some of the excess goop off and put them all around the jug covering every part - just all over in any direction. You can cover the cap area of the jug or leave it uncovered as I did. Hang it up outside to dry (it may drip).

When dry, paint it with cheapo craft paint in tan and a darker brown color. Swirl the paint around making it just random shades of light and dark brown. Let that dry and then hang up where you want it.

I hung mine under a patio roof and I have had no bees so far since spring started. We did have a small bees nest that was started very small. My husband got rid of it before we hung this up and I have had NO bees nests since. I see a bee every now and then snooping around but they do not nest. I don't know why it works. They say the bees think it's another colony's hive and they stay away. Mine has worked and saved me the $25 the one I saw in a catalog cost. It doesn't look as nice, mind you, but it works and it was thrifty.

By Janine from Reading, PA

Home and Garden Pest Control Bees & WaspsMay 8, 2013
🎆
👔
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Homemade-Bee-Repellents.html