Use a Lamp Timer With Your Crock Pot

Use a lamp timer when cooking with a crock pot and think you don't need the meal to cook all day. Use the lamp timer to start the meal while you are away. Or, do the opposite and use the timer to stop cooking so the meal will not overcook.

Happy cooking!

By Terri A from Erlanger, KY

What a terrific idea!

I started doing this about 6 months ago and it works out well!

I usualy put in a roast & veggies and set the timer to cook from

noon to 4pm. Ours only has 60 min intervals. By the time im home from work its all done and alot less mess.No more over cooked meat ! :) Now they have the crock pot insert too so just remove the liner when finished and toss it.

When I worked at Chickfila in high school, I learned that the "danger zone" for food temperature is between 40 and 140 degrees. Food should not be kept warmer than 40 degrees or cooler than 140 degrees for long periods of time, or bacteria can grow and cause food poisoning. If you're going to use the lamp timer idea, you'd probably want to try it out on a day when you are home and check the temperature of the food periodically. If I remember correctly, 2 hours is the time limit on food kept between 40 and 140 degrees--any longer in the "danger zone", and it should be thrown out.

Electrical Timers
Uses for Electrical Timers
Food and Recipes Food Tips Crockpot CookingNovember 20, 2007
simmering crock pot
Cleaning a Crock Pot
Teapot Lamp
Making a Teapot Lamp
Using a Water Heater Timer
Using a Water Heater Timer
crochet strap for Crock Pot lid
Making a Crochet Crock Pot Strap