Record Album Cover Shoulder Bag

Here's a fun project. I got some cheesy record album covers from a thrift shop for 50 cents each, some vinyl, plastic tubing and grommets and made this record album cover shoulder bag.

• 1 1/2 yards of Sewing Vinyl
  • 2 Record album covers
  • Vinyl Tubing
  • Tinsel to put inside vinyl tubing (optional)
  • 4 Grommets
  • 1 Vinyl Record
  • Grommet tool
  • Hammer

Directions:

1. Cut the front picture off the record album covers you want to use, leaving you with a square piece of tag board.

2. Trim edges so the edges look clean and straight.

3. Measure the record album cover. Add 1 inch to the sides and bottom and add 2 inches to top.

4. Cut 4 pieces of vinyl the same size using these measurements. It should come out about 14" wide by 15" tall.

5. Place one of your album covers between two pieces of vinyl leaving one inch on each side two inches on the top. Pin in place.

6. Sew around album cover. Repeat with second album cover. Then add a hem to the top end of the vinyl on each piece, these will be the front and back of the bag.

7. Measure the length and height of the album cover including the vinyl surrounding it. Take the length measurement x2 plus the width measurement. Cut one more piece of vinyl this length and 7 inches wide (this should be around 44 inches). This will be the sides and bottom of your bag.

8. Sew a hem at one end of your long piece of vinyl (wait to do the other end until you can see that it will match up with the top of the bag on the other side). Match up hemmed edges and one of the raw edges of one of the covered album covers and your long piece of vinyl and pin.

9. Sew the two pieces together about 1/4 inch out from the album cover. The long piece of vinyl will wrap around and be sewed to three of the album cover's sides. After sewing all the way around you may need to cut a slit into the vinyl around the corners.

10. Repeat with second album cover, sewing it two the other pieces. Now you should have a bag shape.

11. Now turn the raw edges back towards the center and sew. This will make the bag look finished and is much nicer to rub your skin against.

12. Now with your grommet kit cut the holes into the top of the bag where you would like the handles to go.

13. Cut two pieces of clear tubing to the size to want your handles to be and stick the tinsel inside.

14. Cut holes in each end of the clear tubing the same way you did on the bag. The tubing is much harder to puncture with the tool but it is possible.

15. Stick a grommet in the hole of the bag and then through the tubing, making sure the ends of the handles are in the inside of the bag.

16. Now place the second piece of the grommet (which is kinda like a washer) on top.

17. With the proper tool, hammer the grommet in place.

18. Attach the other end of the tube to the other hole on the same side of the bag. Repeat on the other side.

19. The last step is to make something to fit in the bottom to make it sturdy. I decided to use the record I removed from one of the covers. To use a record for the bottom, you need a piece of wood 5" wide and at least the length of the record. The wood needs to be at least 4 inches tall or you need to set the piece on wood on top of a pan thinner than the piece of wood. This will allow the the record to drape over the sides of the wood. Cover the wood with tin foil and place it in the oven at 200 degrees F.

20. Place the record on a separate cookie sheet and put it in the oven for about 8 minutes. The record should be flexible after 8 minutes, if it is not leave it in the oven for another 2 minutes.

21. Once the record is flexible pull the oven rack out, wearing oven mitts pick up the record and center it on the piece of wood then shape it so the sides are flat and at a right angle.

22. Let cool, once cooled place in the bottom of your bag.

By Stella from Manchester, WA

That is really clever! I may have to try that! I have lots of old covers that i had as a child. Thanks for sharing with us.

THIS IS REALLY CUTE

It is really ingenious repeat two months ago someone put a purse on made of a game of monopoly bought at a thrift shop. They sewed exactly as you did sew. Did you copy the idea or come up with it on your own, because copywriting is protected on this site like you would not believe. I need to know so I don't follow a craft from a person who violated this rule. Not meaning to be mean. You really do have an ingenious idea. I just need to know so I don't get in trouble myself. It would be horrible to get in trouble over an ingenious idea such as yours. You are a good seamstress by the way. You are my inspiration of sorts.

Tanya

Editor's Note: Hi Tanya, the same artist, Stella Rivet did both projects. She's one of the TF staff.

That's adorable!

So Cute! I am really impressed!

Its Really nice and practical. Easy to make and cheap. Excellent.

I just love this! I can't wait to make one for myself!

Stella....this is exactly what I am looking for, only I am not a crafty person. I have a record, would you make me a bag for a price? If so please email me at nikki_scala AT yahoo.com

Hi, I am not a handy person either, (like the first poster). I have an album I would love as a bag. Would you be able to give me a price on making a bag for me? rorig (at) optonline.net. Thanking you in advance!

Record Album Cover  Bag
Making a Record Album Cover Purse
Crafts Recycled CraftsDecember 7, 2006
Quilted Photo Album Cover
Making a Quilted Photo Album Cover
Making a Record Album Clock
Making a Record Album Clock
Stack of Record Albums
Crafts Using Record Album Sleeves
Uses for Shoulder Pads
Uses for Shoulder Pads
🎉
🎄