Silver Answer Medal for All Time! 440 Answers
December 28, 2021
The design of this bag was inspired by origami. The bag has the shape of a regular hexagon. I decided not to overload the design of this bag with unnecessary décor, since the flower formed from the folds of fabric is a sufficient decoration for it. You can change the look of this bag and use it as a purse or a shoulder bag or wristlet or pouch or minaudière.
Total Time: 2-3 Hours
- double-sided polyester gabardine fabric (I used cream color) for the outside part of the bag 40 cm by 46 cm, for the inside part of bag two pieces 19 cm by 22 cm
- threads, the same color as the fabric
- zipper 20 cm long, the same color as the fabric (I took one from a spoiled white jeans)
- satin ribbon, 1 cm thick, 190 cm long, the same color as the fabric
- metal bag strap chain 120 cm with 2 carabiners - handle for shoulder bag making (I took it off from another bag)
- two metal mounts for strap chain
- sewing machine
- matches or a lighter
- Cut out from paper a template of a regular hexagon with a radius of 23 cm, which will give a side length of 23 cm. There are many ways to make a regular hexagon. For example you can make it from a square sheet of paper with sides of 46 cm. I made a square paper with the side length of 46 cm, then folded it in half - I got a rectangle, then fold it into three equal parts - I got a triangle, then I measured the length of the sides of this triangle for to get regular triangle with the sides 23 cm and cut off the excess of paper.
- Put the template on the fabric, outline with a pencil and cut out the same regular hexagon from the fabric (do this very exactly).
- To make the edge of the fabric harder, bend the edges twice (0.5 cm each time), fix it with a running stitch, and then sew on the sewing machine.
- Fold the satin ribbon in half lengthwise and sew it to the edges of the hexagon from fabric (first make the running stitch, then sew on a sewing machine).
- Now you need to fold the fabric hexagon and iron the folds. First, make the ironed folds along the large diagonals of the hexagon, then fold each side of the hexagon in half (put the edges of the sides on the large diagonals) and iron them without touching the folds made earlier.
- Since the inside of the bag will also have the shape of a regular hexagon, cut a smaller hexagon from the previous paper template using 10.5 cm sides.
- Put the pattern on the fabric, outline and cut out two small regular hexagons from the fabric.
- Sew the two fabric hexagons on the sides: fold the edges two times, so that as a result the edges of the fabric are inside, fix it first with the running stitch, then sew on a sewing machine.
- Sew the bottom of the inside part of the bag: fold twice, make the running stitch, then sew on a sewing machine.
- Sew the top: measure the place where the zipper will be sewn, fold the edge of the fabric and make the running stitch, then sew it to the zipper (running stitch, then on a sewing machine).
- Lay the inside part of the bag in the center of the outside part of the bag. Mark the place where the zipper ends.
- Make a slot for the zipper in the outer part of the bag.
- Sew two ribbons to the edges of the slot (singe the edges of the ribbons).
- Sew the outside part of the bag to the zipper of the inside part (where you made the slot).
- Cut two pieces of the satin ribbon 3 cm long, singe the edges, fold 3 times, sew them on both ends of the zipper.
- Fold the edges of the outside part of the bag near the corners and sew them together at the fold (fix it first with the running stitch, then sew on a sewing machine). As a result, all the edges of the outside part of the bag will be connected in the center of the bag, forming folds on the large diagonals of the regular hexagon - bag.
- Sew the edges of the folds to the corners of the hexagon - bag.
- Fix the mounts to the pieces of tape sewn to the edges of the zipper and attach the metal bag strap chain using carabiners to them.
- Sew the bead in the center of the bag (where all the folds connect). As a result you get a bag with a width / height of 20.5 cm. Inside you can put objects with a maximum length of 17 cm. Folding in different ways, you can change the design of your purse.
- Throw the strap chain over your shoulder and you will get a shoulder bag.
You can also wind a chain around your hand and use this bag as wristlet.
- You can unfasten the metal bag strap chain and use this bag as a pouch.
- You can again fold your bag (empty) and fix it in this position by inserting the metal bag strap chain between the folds fixed on the corners of the hexagon and fix the edges of this chain with carabiners. In this position, your handbag will turn from a flower into a small bud and you can use it as a minaudière.
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.