Share Crafts
Ask
Share
Newsletter
Account
About

Does Borax Cause Dark Colored Clothing to Fade?

0EmailPrintFollowSave

I have read on this site that using Borax in the laundry, when washing dark colored clothing, will cause the clothing to fade. Is this true?

Sharon from Southern Illinois

By

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By susan 8 1,368 01/18/2008 Flag

Borax is a laundry whitener. It is one of the ingredients in homemade laundry detergent/soap, which I have used for years. None of my colored clothing have faded more than when I used store bought detergent.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Lizzyanny 9 1,248 09/28/2009 Flag

Borax in your laundry does produce small amounts hydrogen peroxide, so the possibility of fading of darks does exist. However I have used it for years and have never seen any fading.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Kristin M. 1 04/22/2013 Flag

Yes it can. I'm actually searching for a solution to this problem. I just sprinkled the borax over my clothes in the washer when I probably should have mixed the borax with the water before adding the clothes. I now have a bright pink maternity shirt that has splotches of lighter pink.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes