Does Borax Cause Dark Colored Clothing to Fade?

I have read on this site that using Borax in the laundry, when washing dark colored clothing, will cause the clothing to fade. Is this true?

Sharon from Southern Illinois

Borax is a laundry whitener. It is one of the ingredients in homemade laundry detergent/soap, which I have used for years. None of my colored clothing have faded more than when I used store bought detergent.

Borax in your laundry does produce small amounts hydrogen peroxide, so the possibility of fading of darks does exist. However I have used it for years and have never seen any fading.

Yes it can. I'm actually searching for a solution to this problem. I just sprinkled the borax over my clothes in the washer when I probably should have mixed the borax with the water before adding the clothes. I now have a bright pink maternity shirt that has splotches of lighter pink.

Yes, in fairly large doses. I was trying to to remove paint, so I used half a box of borax on just 2 items. It did lighten, but not fully remove the paint, and it did lighten the clothes

Home and Garden Cleaning ClothingJanuary 16, 2008
Working with Dark Colored Yarns
Working with Dark Colored Yarns
Borax
Buying Borax
sweat stain on dark clothing
Perspiration Stains on Dark Clothing
dark jeans
Fading Dark Jeans
🎉
🎄