Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Does Borax Cause Dark Colored Clothing to Fade?

I have read on this site that using Borax in the laundry, when washing dark colored clothing, will cause the clothing to fade. Is this true?

Sharon from Southern Illinois

By

By Kristin M.04/22/2013

Yes it can. I'm actually searching for a solution to this problem. I just sprinkled the borax over my clothes in the washer when I probably should have mixed the borax with the water before adding the clothes. I now have a bright pink maternity shirt that has splotches of lighter pink.

By Lizzyanny [9]09/28/2009

Borax in your laundry does produce small amounts hydrogen peroxide, so the possibility of fading of darks does exist. However I have used it for years and have never seen any fading.

By susan [5]01/18/2008

Borax is a laundry whitener. It is one of the ingredients in homemade laundry detergent/soap, which I have used for years. None of my colored clothing have faded more than when I used store bought detergent.