Making Sweet Tomato Sauce

I would like to know how to make the sweetest tomato sauce.

By Vinny from Boca Raton, FL

I don't know about the sweetest tomato sauce but I can tell you that I like a sweet picante sauce for nachos. I took a bottle of sauce and warmed it up, added honey and cooled it off. It tasted great.

Use Alton Brown's Tomato Sauce recipe:

* 2 (28-ounce) cans whole, peeled tomatoes

* 1/4 cup sherry vinegar

* 1 teaspoon dried oregano

* 1 teaspoon dried basil

* 1 onion

* 1 carrot

* 1 stalk celery

* 2 ounces olive oil

* 4 cloves garlic, minced

* 1/2 cup white wine

* Salt and black pepper to taste

* 1/4 cup sugar (*I have eliminated this but you could add some sugar to taste)

1. In a sieve over a medium sauce pant, strain the tomatoes of their juice into the sauce pot. Add the sherry vinegar, *sugar, oregano, and basil to the tomato juice. Stir and cook over high heat. Once bubbles begin to form on the surface, reduce to a simmer. Allow liquid to reduce to about 1/2 or until liquid has thickened to a loose syrup consistency.

2. Squeeze each tomato thoroughly to ensure most seeds are removed. Set the tomatoes aside.

3. Cut carrot, onion, and celery into uniform sizes and combine with olive oil and garlic in pan over low heat. Sweat the mirepoix until the carrots are tender and the onion becomes translucent, 15 to 20 minutes. Mix tomatoes & mirepoix on to a roasting pan.

4. Place roasting pan on the middle rack of the oven and broil for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Tomatoes should start to brown slightly on edges with light caramelization. Remove the pan from the broiler. Place the pan over 2 burners on the stove. Add the white wine to the tomatoes and cook for 2 to 3 more minutes over medium heat.

5. Put the tomatoes & mirepoix into a blender and add the reduced tomato liquid. Blend to desired consistency and adjust seasoning.

Food and Recipes Recipes SaucesDecember 29, 2009
Peanut Sauce Recipes, Pork satay with peanut sauce dip.
Peanut Sauce Recipes
Chopsticks Picking up Piece of Teriyaki Chicken
Homemade Teriyaki Sauce Recipes
Homemade pizaa sauce.
Pizza Sauce Recipes
A pot of tomato sauce being cooked.
Tomato Sauce Recipes