Protect Your Important Documents in Your Freezer

Protect your important documents (insurance info, car titles, warranties, etc.) by placing them is a zip lock bag in your freezer. Should a fire occur, they will not be burned.

Source: We've done this for years.

By GrannyGoff from Concord, NC

I keep all my documents in a fire safe box. Makes more sense to me. If that plastic bag ever gets even a tiny tear in it, the documents could be damaged beyond repair.

My father did that for years. When I got married and needed certain documents like my birth certificate, baptismal record and such they were rotted from the moisture levels that change everytime someone opens and closes a freezer to put things in after grocery shopping. I had to take time to go down to the courthouse and call the church to get replacement documents. My father did not look into the box for over 20 years to check it.

I think this is a great idea if you seal them properly and check on them, why not? You have to seal anything good anyway if you care.

Ridiculous. If the power goes out your documents will get wet. There are hardly any documents that cannot be replaced these days. Put them in a drawer or fireproof box and forget about them. Some people worry too much. Oh and you know those letters you get from medicare when you go to the doctor? Pitch them unless you didn't go then call Medicare.

Sorry, but this doesn't work. We had a fire and the freezer totally melted. And the fridge, also. The only thing that survived was the oven, but I don't recommend storing papers in the oven!

Cabinet with Multi-colored Hanging Files
Organizing Important Papers
Home and Garden Emergency PreparationMay 19, 2009
A woman reading a document.
Reading Poor Copies of Documents
Photo of a someone checking their oil.
Keeping Track of Your Car's Maintenance Requirements
Organizing Paperwork For Taxes
Medical Insurance Documents
How Long Should You Save Medical Insurance Documents?