What Causes Oily Skin?

What really causes excess production of oil on the face? Is it the sugar, wheat, oil we eat. What causes excessive activity in our sebaceous glands?

I think it is just heredity. Some people have oily skin, some normal, some dry. I bet most people have combination skin.

It's a hormonal problem usually caused by an imbalance in the adrenal glands.

Our dematologist has told me that oily skin is hereditary. When he examined my teenaged kids, he looked at my face to see if I had large pores.

Oils in the skin are effected by hormones. Females will often break out around the time of their menses. Both males and females will have oilier skin during their teens because of increased hormone production.

Dont dispair. People with oily skin fair much better with age.. imho. I have fewer wrinkles and lines than others with dry skin.

Nah, oily skin is not heredity nor hormone induced. Yes, you'll break out more when the menstral cycle stops by to make our life miserable for five days, but this happens to everyone regardless of their skin type.

I have extremely oily skin and my Mom has extremely dry. My oldest daughter has oily skin and my two other children have dry skin. You just get what you get as far as that goes. I can help you with your oily skin woes, though. (Be grateful you have oily skin as we "oilies" age much nicer than dry skinned people). After you wash and astringent your face, put on a VERY LIGHT face cream that states for oily skin on the bottle. A preconceived notion oily skinned people seem to have is to not put cream on their face. However if you don't replenish your face with moisturizer after cleansing, you will actually produce MORE oil. And if you wear base make-up, wear an extremely light textured cream specifically formulated for oily skin.

Good luck!

Closeup of Facial Pores and Oily Skin
Remedies for Oily Skin
Health & Beauty Beauty Skin Care Oily SkinAugust 2, 2007
A girl popping a pimple.
What Causes Acne?
Young woman scratching her head furiously.
Dandruff Remedies
woman looking at her skin
Remedies for Dark Spots on Skin
woman scratching patch of red irritated skin on back of hand
Treating Skin Rashes