Puff Quilt Pattern

I want to make a puff quilt for a baby's pram. Does has anyone have pictures of how it's done. Also, I've seen one that has a plain square in the middle with the puffs around the edge and at the bottom How is this done?

Many thanks,
Bev from London

I saw one made years ago by taking small squares of material and sewing two together on three sides. Then these squares are to be stuffed with polyester fibrefill

and joined together, Hope this is what you had in mind. sewingmamma

I've made a bunch of these, first I cut squares 4 inches of the material I want to show, than cut 3 inch squares out of muslin or any left over material you want to use up because it will NOT show. Next you sew the 4 inch squares to the 3 inch squares making a pleat in the center (so the 4 inches match the 3 inches) stuffing the 4th side before you close it I make a lot of these, Also after sewing around the 4 side I pick up the next square and sew that one without cutting the thread on the machine, I let them stay connected (by thread) and snip them apart when I finish for the day, makes things go much faster. I use a few differant colors then match them up in a pleasing way after cutting them apart. now I make rows. If you want a baby quilt decide how many squares you will need across and gather then up in the pattern, I use one color than another. What I stuff them with are cotton balls,(100% cotton) I find they are the perfect size and will be very uniform, but you can use leftover quilt backing or fiberfill just try to keep it the same amount, you only need a bit, When I join them I put the right sides together and sew across the seam allowence then pick the next block and add it when I have a few rows of say 16 squares I put the whole rows together the same way (right sides together, turn over and stich along the seam allowence) it works up pretty fast. after you make it the size you want you put a backing on it. All I do is put the puff side on top of the backing wrong sides together, having enough material to form a border on front around all sides and top stich it to the puff side. hope this sounds easy because it really is! it doesn't even matter what color the tread is except when you put the backing on because thats the only tread you will see. Have FUN!!

Thanks so much for the info .I love to sew and make things. I have wanted to make this quilt for some time thanks again!!

I would like a pattern for making a "Puff Quilt". If anyone has the pattern or knows a link to the pattern.

There is a pattern for a full size puff quilt by either Simplicity or McCalls. They do still have it, or did last year. If I remember right, it's in multiple sizes. I'm sorry...I tried to find my pattern and it is NOT where it belongs!!! The quilt is very easy to make. My template that I traced is 71/2" X 9". I cut all the squares first.

On the 9" side, starting 1" from each edge, make a 1" dart....so the completed dart is 1'inch from the edge. Folded over, the dart would be 1/2" wide. Pin the darts in place on all the squares. They do not have to be perfect!!!

Pin two matching squares together...right side to right side. Lay the pinned squares on the batting, butting them up to each other so as not to waste the batting, and pin in place. Cut the batting around each square.

You now have a layered quilt square consisting of two pieces of fabric and a layer of batting. One side will be the batting, the other side the fabric with the 2nd layer of fabric in the middle.

Sew around the square leaving an opening on one side. Turn the square rightside out. When you turn it you have to turn BETWEEN the two pieces of fabric...NOT between the fabric and the batting.

Line up the completed squares according to your color combination. Sew each square together by overlapping the seams OR using decortive ribbon. Finish the outside edge with narrow quilt binding, lace, a ruffle or whatever you think would look nice.

Note...the batting should be poofy and thick, not flat. You will spend a little more, but if the batting isn't full enough the quilt won't have any "puff".

Watch a good movie or listen to music or the radio...something interesting while you sew. Trust me...sewing around all the squares gets tedious!!!

At the time, my mother was elderly and unable to do handwork like knitting any more. She needed something to do, so as I finiished the squares, she turned them for me. She didn't get the corners turned too well, but I didn't care...I finished pulling the corners out later. It gave her something to do...something we could do together. Everyone wants to be "needed" and to feel useful, especially the elderly. She was around 91 at the time.

When someone, regardless of age, asks if they can do something to help...don't be in a big hurry to say no!!! Perhaps that person NEEDS something to do.

Have fun making your puff quilt. That is a very special gift for a very special person!

Would like to make a Puff Quilt. May I please have a pattern? Thank you vaseux AT persona.ca

http://www.quilterscache.com/P/PuffQuiltingBlock.html this is a cool site to make the puff quilt

Decide the size you want the quilt to be. Buy a grid interfacing. Cut out your blocks from the fabric you like. Sew them to the grid and make sure you put tucks int them so that there is room for the stuffing. (Don't worry about the stuffing just yet) I usually cut the blocks 4 inches bigger than I want the little pillows to be. Now you have to decide if you want raggy edges or finished edges. If you want raggy edges leave a 1" seam allowance sticking up.(Don't cut the edges into strips until the whole quilt is done) After you get it all sewn together go in the back of the interfacing and cut a little slit and stuff each pillow. (I whip stitch it closed.) Then sew on your backing and knot or tack it or what ever you want to put the 3 layers together! Don't cut the grid into squares but use the grid to keep your quilt square! The grid interfacing serves as a pattern for you and also as a backing inside the quilt.

colorful quilting fabric
Making a Puff or Biscuit Quilt
Crafts QuiltingSeptember 17, 2005
Up close photo of quilt binding.
Binding a Quilt
Homemade Puff Pastry
Homemade Puff Pastry
flip flop quilt
Making a Flip Flop Quilt
Paper pieced quilt top, endless chains pattern.
Making a Paper Pieced Quilt