Cutting Apples for Pies

Try this the next time you make an apple pie: first pare the apples (remove skin or if you're like my family, you can leave the skin on the apple), then use an apple cutter that removes the core and sections the apple, and then cut those sections into the smaller sections you would use when baking your pie. This has made apple pie making more enjoyable and much quicker for me especially since we like the skin on our apples. Thanks and hope you try it and like it!

By Jo from Manchester, NH

I am baking several pies and want to prepare as much as I can before I start baking - can I pre peel and core the apples without them spoiling

Depending on the type of apple you are using, you can prepare them a day ahead, and keep them covered with water with a little lemon juice in it. Refrigerate the container. Drain, rinse and use when ready.I suggest trying one apple to see if it works for you. It works best wih firm fleshed apples.

I have used this same method for prepping my apples. I take it a little further as we love apple pie. After slicing toss them in lemon juice lay out on baking sheet and freeze. Then drop in to freezer bags so when the need to bake a pie comes up your ready to go with apples. Just pull out what you need and save the rest for another pie down the road.