Why Did My Cornbread Turn Out Dry?

My corn bread is dry. I followed the recipe on the cornmeal box. Can someone please help me?

By Sharon from MI

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Sharon, mine always was, too until I started adding a heaping tablespoon of sour cream to the batter- also I throw in about 1/3 of a cup of frozen corn kernels, try it once and see, cook it a tad bit longer but don't overcook and this might be your new cornbread recipe!

Sharon, I learned this hint from a friend who makes delightfully moist and sweet cornbread: Add one more egg than the recipe instructions call for, and a tablespoon of honey.

I'm sure exceptions exist, but every boxed, bagged, or from scratch cornbread batter I've used since, always turns out better with the extra egg and honey. Good luck and Enjoy!

Thank you both for the hints I will be trying both of them.

Oh, I do like those ideas, gals! Will try m'self. Sharon, my first thought was perhaps you baked it a bit too long--that often happens when product comes out dry. But adding another egg & some honey should really do the trick, as well as the sour cream idea. Even just a good scoop of mayonaisse would help, I'm sure.

Thank You AntiBim. I remember adding mayonnaise to chocolate cake to keep them moist and adding it to corn bread makes a lot of sense. Thank you so much.

Either your oven bakes quicker than the time shown on the box, or you need to add a small amount of liquid to the mix.

My oven always takes 5 min less to bake with a 30 minute time, and 1 to 2 minutes less with 8 to 10 minute cookies.

Answer

Food and Recipes Food Tips BakingFebruary 12, 2011
Chili Cheese Cornbread
Chili Cheese Cornbread Recipes
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
A basket of cornbread muffins.
Gluten Free Cornbread Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 12, 2016 at 9:25:15 PM on 10.0.1.199 in 476 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.