Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Crocheted Baby Cradle Purse

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Two baby cradle church purses with Kewpie dolls inside.

What little girl wouldn't love to carry a purse that opens up into a baby doll cradle? This is a guide about making a crocheted baby cradle purse.

Solutions: Crocheted Baby Cradle Purse

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Craft Project: Baby Cradle Purse

Baby cradle purse made with a detergent bottle.This is also sometimes called a Church Purse. It is crocheted using a dishwashing detergent bottle for a base. Any oval bottle will work. When it is closed it is a purse, and opened it is a baby cradle.

• Detergent bottle, oval shape
  • 3 ply yarn, baby or sport
  • 3 inch baby doll or size to fit
  • Scrap of fabric for a blanket
  • Heavy Duty Shears
  • 1/4 inch paper punch
  • Crochet hook size F

Instructions:

Remove label from bottle and cut 2 inches above the bottom with heavy duty scissors. Punch holes around edge of bottle, approximately 1/4 inch apart.

Cradle1_276x212.gif

Using crochet hook, size F, crochet the "Bonnet" first.

Ch 2. Make 7 HDC in first Ch. Ch 2 and turn. (Ch 2 counts as first HDC in next row).

2nd Row: 2 HDC in 1st st. 1 HDC in next 4 sts, 3 HDC in last st. Ch 2; turn.

3rd Row: 2 HDC in 1st st. *HDC in next st. Repeat from * across, ending with 3 HDC in last st. Ch 2; turn.

4th Row: HDC in each of first 3 sts. 2 HDC in each of next 6 sts. HDC in each of last 3 sts. Ch 2; turn. Cradle2_260x195.gif

5th & 6th Rows: 1 HDC in each st across. Ch 2; turn.

7th Row: 1 DC in each st across. Do not end off.

Invert the bonnet into bottle as show in photo. Make 2 SC in each hole around the edge of the bottle, catching the edge of the bonnet as you go. Join with a Sl St.

2nd rnd: Ch 2, 2 DC in first st. * Skip 2 sts; 3 DC in next st. Repeat from * around. Join with Sl St to top of first shell. This row is the base row for the shell st pattern.

3rd, 4th, & 5th Rows: 3DC in each space between shells. Repeat ending each round with Sl St to op of first shell.

Cradle3_300x224.gif6th Row: (Beading Row) Ch 3 *sk 2 sts. HDC in next st; ch 1. Repeat around. Join with Sl St to top of Ch 3.

7th Row: in first ch 1 space make 1 SC, 1 HDC, 1 DC. In next ch 1 space, 1 DC, 1 HDC, 1 sc. Repeat around. Join with Sl St.

Make 2 Drawstrings: Ch 85 and end off for each one. Thread through the beading row beginning each string from opposite sides, and knot the ends. You may attach pompoms to hide the knots if you wish.

The instructions are also in a PDF file for which you may need Acrobat Reader to view. Download Acrobat Reader

Click Here to download the Cradle Purse Instructions in PDF format.

By Harlean from Hot Springs, Arkansas

Cradle4_300x279gif.gif

By Harlean Greathouse

Tip: Crocheted Kewpie and Baby Cradle Purse

The original pattern I found on the Thrifty Fun website. I printed it in hopes of making it someday. I got it out and looked for the dish soap bottle with an oval shaped bottom and solid color to use for the bottom of the purse. No luck. They do not make them anymore. The bottles are now see-through.

I hunted and hunted looking for something I could use. Not too big and not too small. I found a white bottle in the dollar store containing Shout, laundry stain remover. It was approximately 4 inches long and 2 inches wide on the bottom. I bought 2 for $1 each and removed the liquid. I washed them very well and continued.

Purses closed with pull string.

I wanted to use the Kewpie dolls, another hard-to-find item. I looked in craft stores and department stores. There were none to be found. Then I searched the internet and found a website, CR Crafts where I bought some 7 inch ones for future crafts. I found the smaller ones on Etsy.com. They are really hard to come by.

I used sport yarn and a size F crochet hook. I made a chain big enough to go around the belly (largest place on the doll) and joined with a slip stitch. I single crocheted several rows, big enough for the panties. I made 4 chain stitches for the crotch and slip stitched it to the opposite side of the panties.

I joined the yarn at the top of the panties off to one side in the front and made 1 DC in 7 stitches for the front bodice. I then chained a piece long enough to go around the neck for straps and attached to the top of the front on the other side. The dress will not be able to be removed.

Kewpies in crocheted dresses.

I then joined the yarn at the waist with 2 double crochet stitches in each stitch around. Join with a slip stitch. Work chain 3 and 2 double crochet around again in each stitch until the skirt is as long as you like. I slip stitched around the bottom with a different color to match the bodice. The skirt will ruffle itself.

They are just so adorable and turned out so cute.

Source: Craft Project: Baby Cradle Purse by Harlean Greathouse

By LITTLE SUZY from Millbury, OH Two baby cradle church purses with Kewpie dolls inside.

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Crocheted Baby Cradle Purse.

Question: Doll Cradle From Clorox Jug

I am looking for a pattern. White Clorox gallon jug cut out on top to make a doll cradle. It had a draw string skirt so it could be closed to look like a hand bag? Any help out there?

Most Recent Answer

By Melba (Guest Post)01/20/2008

There is an actual pattern that was in a Magazine at one time I believe. Not sure which issue of the magazine, but I made several of them and they made up very cute. You can contact me through sending me an email via the web page www.teddybearstolove.com Fill out the form for contacting us. I would be glad to look for the pattern and send it via email to you. Just go to the web site and click on Contact us. Fill out the form and in the message area tell me that you want this pattern, click submit and then click on done and I will send it back to you via email with instructions and a photo. Only email request for this will produce an actual written request and will get processed. Hope this helps.