Crocheted Baby Cradle Purse

What little girl wouldn't love to carry a purse that opens up into a baby doll cradle? This is a guide about making a crocheted baby cradle purse.

May 30, 2008 Flag

Baby cradle purse made with a detergent bottle.This is also sometimes called a Church Purse. It is crocheted using a dishwashing detergent bottle for a base. Any oval bottle will work. When it is closed it is a purse, and opened it is a baby cradle.

Remove label from bottle and cut 2 inches above the bottom with heavy duty scissors. Punch holes around edge of bottle, approximately 1/4 inch apart.

Using crochet hook, size F, crochet the "Bonnet" first.

Ch 2. Make 7 HDC in first Ch. Ch 2 and turn. (Ch 2 counts as first HDC in next row).

2nd Row: 2 HDC in 1st st. 1 HDC in next 4 sts, 3 HDC in last st. Ch 2; turn.

3rd Row: 2 HDC in 1st st. *HDC in next st. Repeat from * across, ending with 3 HDC in last st. Ch 2; turn.

4th Row: HDC in each of first 3 sts. 2 HDC in each of next 6 sts. HDC in each of last 3 sts. Ch 2; turn. Cradle2_260x195.gif

5th & 6th Rows: 1 HDC in each st across. Ch 2; turn.

7th Row: 1 DC in each st across. Do not end off.

Invert the bonnet into bottle as show in photo. Make 2 SC in each hole around the edge of the bottle, catching the edge of the bonnet as you go. Join with a Sl St.

2nd rnd: Ch 2, 2 DC in first st. * Skip 2 sts; 3 DC in next st. Repeat from * around. Join with Sl St to top of first shell. This row is the base row for the shell st pattern.

3rd, 4th, & 5th Rows: 3DC in each space between shells. Repeat ending each round with Sl St to op of first shell.

Cradle3_300x224.gif6th Row: (Beading Row) Ch 3 *sk 2 sts. HDC in next st; ch 1. Repeat around. Join with Sl St to top of Ch 3.

7th Row: in first ch 1 space make 1 SC, 1 HDC, 1 DC. In next ch 1 space, 1 DC, 1 HDC, 1 sc. Repeat around. Join with Sl St.

Make 2 Drawstrings: Ch 85 and end off for each one. Thread through the beading row beginning each string from opposite sides, and knot the ends. You may attach pompoms to hide the knots if you wish.

The instructions are also in a PDF file for which you may need Acrobat Reader to view. Download Acrobat Reader

Click Here to download the Cradle Purse Instructions in PDF format.

By Harlean from Hot Springs, Arkansas

This is one of my patterns and I wanted to add some information. This is a vintage pattern and I understand that some of you are having trouble finding the small dolls. At the time I was making these, the dolls were available in craft stores, dime stores (remember those?) etc. Since someone asked about them, I did a little research. I could not find any in the on line craft supplies companies, but the other day I looked at the local Hobby Lobby store. They don't have the small baby dolls, but they do have a cute Kewpie doll about 3 inches high, and they also have tiny teddy bears that would be a good substitute for the small dolls. Hope you can find what you need.

Harlean from Arkansas

Could you tell me where you bought the little baby

that goes inside the purse. I really enjoyed your

pattern, I have 5 of them to make, for granddaughters, nieces and neighbors little girls.

Thank you.

I made a cradle purse similar to this and also had a difficult time finding a small doll. Around Christmas time, however, I hit the mother lode. Many places sell little porcelein dolls all dressed up as Christmas ornaments and they are usually very inexpensive. I even found some at a dollar store and bought them out :-)

What an adorable little church purse pattern! Thank you very much! :)

Lee Ann

October 26, 2011 Flag

The original pattern I found on the Thrifty Fun website. I printed it in hopes of making it someday. I got it out and looked for the dish soap bottle with an oval shaped bottom and solid color to use for the bottom of the purse. No luck. They do not make them anymore. The bottles are now see-through.

I hunted and hunted looking for something I could use. Not too big and not too small. I found a white bottle in the dollar store containing Shout, laundry stain remover. It was approximately 4 inches long and 2 inches wide on the bottom. I bought 2 for $1 each and removed the liquid. I washed them very well and continued.

Purses closed with pull string.

I wanted to use the Kewpie dolls, another hard-to-find item. I looked in craft stores and department stores. There were none to be found. Then I searched the internet and found a website, CR Crafts where I bought some 7 inch ones for future crafts. I found the smaller ones on They are really hard to come by.

I used sport yarn and a size F crochet hook. I made a chain big enough to go around the belly (largest place on the doll) and joined with a slip stitch. I single crocheted several rows, big enough for the panties. I made 4 chain stitches for the crotch and slip stitched it to the opposite side of the panties.

I joined the yarn at the top of the panties off to one side in the front and made 1 DC in 7 stitches for the front bodice. I then chained a piece long enough to go around the neck for straps and attached to the top of the front on the other side. The dress will not be able to be removed.

Kewpies in crocheted dresses.

I then joined the yarn at the waist with 2 double crochet stitches in each stitch around. Join with a slip stitch. Work chain 3 and 2 double crochet around again in each stitch until the skirt is as long as you like. I slip stitched around the bottom with a different color to match the bodice. The skirt will ruffle itself.

They are just so adorable and turned out so cute.

Source: Craft Project: Baby Cradle Purse by Harlean Greathouse

By LITTLE SUZY from Millbury, OH Two baby cradle church purses with Kewpie dolls inside.

Too cute. Thanks for sharing.

Hi Little Suzy,

What an adorable addition to my Baby Cradle Purse Pattern. And thanks for letting us know where to find those cute Kewpie Dolls, I know the ones that I used originally are no longer available, and I used to see the little Kewpie dolls at Hobby Lobby, but have not seen them anywhere for quite some time. And the outfits are cute as can be.

Harlean from Arkansas

Hi Suzy! Thank you so much for sharing the pattern! I made a lot of these back in the 70's for my nieces and then for my 2 daughters in the early 80's! My 2 year old granddaughter loves purses, so I made one this evening, since she will be here tomorrow to celebrate Christmas! Yea, I know it's a few days late, but that's just fine as long as we get together!

Just wanted to let you know that I made some changes. I crocheted a cover for the bottle out of the same color as the purse, and it looks great, so more finished looking! I made the hood, but ended off and held it in place as I crocheted around the bottle.

I also made a small blanket 1 1/2 times the length of the bottle, turned up the have way and sc with ch 3, skip 2 all around. It like a sleeping bed, the doll or teddy slips right down in it. I'm going to crochet a small doll to put in it. When I get it finished I'll come back and share a picture. Again a big thank you, I lost the pattern years ago!

I'm glad to see this recycling project. I'm wondering where to get the Kewpie doll?

August 12, 2007 Flag

I am looking for a pattern. White Clorox gallon jug cut out on top to make a doll cradle. It had a draw string skirt so it could be closed to look like a hand bag? Any help out there?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

hi, did you try googling it?

I make these doll baskets and have had many requests for them. i use any plastic bottle. Just cut bottle about 2-3 " up from bottom. Punch holes about 1/2 " apart. Crochet into the holes and all around then double crochet till it is approx. 3 - 4 ". Put in draw string in from each direction, I use the narrow satin ribbon, as it pulls easier for little hands. the hardest part and most time consuming is getting the label off, any suggestions. jesylalso at yahoo dot ca

Any pictures> LOL I can't wrap my head around this.. but it sounds cute!

There is an actual pattern that was in a Magazine at one time I believe. Not sure which issue of the magazine, but I made several of them and they made up very cute. You can contact me through sending me an email via the web page Fill out the form for contacting us. I would be glad to look for the pattern and send it via email to you. Just go to the web site and click on Contact us. Fill out the form and in the message area tell me that you want this pattern, click submit and then click on done and I will send it back to you via email with instructions and a photo. Only email request for this will produce an actual written request and will get processed. Hope this helps.

December 1, 2014 Flag

I have looked everywhere and can't find 3" dolls that would fit in the cradle. Where can I buy the dolls?

By Velma

When my girls had these years ago, the doll was made from a child's white sock--just an oblong, stuffed, with a ribbon tied to make the head--the doll wore a simple flannel nightgown--I think she had embroidered eyes, smile and two French knots for the nose. The gown could have lace trim, etc. There were no arms or legs.

Crafts Recycled Crafts ToysMay 22, 2012
Placemat Purse
Making a Placemat Purse
Crocheted Baby Blanket
Crocheted Baby Blanket Patterns and Ideas
baby sleeping
Cradle Cap Remedies
Crochet Craft Project Ideas, Close up of Woman Crocheting
Crochet Craft Project Ideas