Reusing Spice Containers

Recycle those bigger shaker bottles that spices come in. I reuse them and fill with cinnamon sugar or flour (for that quick shot you need to make great gravy).

It is so much handier to have one bottle to grab while I'm cooking than having to go to the pantry for the canister of flour. I also like to use them to make my own spice blends. This saves so much time when you're putting dinner together.

By aloham58 from Onalaska, WA

When I cook, I use salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder in everything! So I decided about two years ago to combine them all in an empty shaker. I just kind of eyeball it; shake it all up and then taste to see if I need to make any adjustments. It is so much easier using one shaker instead of four!

This is a fabulous idea. I do not cook much with flour (bake) because of dragging the flour out from the frig I keep the flour in the refrigerator nothing ever happens to it and never spoils. It is much easier to have a small spice container. I will be cooking with flour much more often now.

Save those spice containers and buy more from the bulk section instead of an entire new jar. It's usually much cheaper and you can buy a smaller amount so your spices are fresher. In my area, Sprouts markets have dozens of bulk spices sold by weight. It's a great way to try a new spice without having to invest in a large jar as well! I save those little glass jam jars from hotels and put spices in those too.

I like to start small cuttings of plants. Leave the shaker top on it and stick the cutting through the hole.

I feel so stupid that I didn't think of that! Thank you so much.

Trader Joe's has the best spice jars now that they are square! When they are empty, I soak the labels off, then wash, rinse and dry and fill with other spices that I've purchased from the bulk aisle. I label the new spices with my trusty label maker so I won't forget what they are. It is so much better with the square bottles. They fit in my cupboard so well with no wasted space.

A collection of spice bottles with lids.
Reusing Spice Bottles
Food and Recipes Food Tips Herbs and SpicesMarch 23, 2011
Mounting a Spice Rack on Your Wall, Spice rack hanging on a wall.
Mounting a Spice Rack on Your Wall
Spice rack with magnetic canisters.
Other Uses for Spice Racks
Frozen Juice Containers on White Background
Reusing Frozen Juice Containers
Spice Rack
Starter Spice Rack Suggestions
🎄