Storing Watermelon

When storing watermelon in a covered container in the refrigerator and a piece of paper towel is placed in the bottom of the container and also on top of the watermelon, what does this do to the watermelon? And is this necessary? I say it dries the watermelon out and takes away the flavor.

Jill from Orange, CA

We always cut in half width-wise and turn one of the halves upside down on a large solid dinner plate, eating the other half that DAY.

I have NEVER used paper towels, and believe they would only serve to soak up any juice? I'd use more than ONE if that were my purpose. LOL

If not ready to eat it, few believe this, but I actually

kept a whole, uncut, watermelon for six months in the pantry floor with absolutely NO problem. It was a large dark green one and was simply DELICIOUS when we finally cut it....VERY ......CAREFULLY, fearing the WORST, but, much to our surprise, IT WAS FINE!

After cutting, they usually don't last more than a week in the fridge. God's original Garden of Eden

must have SURELY included watermelon because they are my favorite fruit! : )

What I do is get a 2 gallon (jumbo) zip bag and cut the watermelon in chunks with out the rind and if I need another one use that too. Freeze or refregerate. Takes up less space than a bowl usually.

Storing Watermelon
Food and Recipes StorageOctober 8, 2006
Several different types of cut melons.
Freezing Melons (Cantaloupe, Crenshaw, Honeydew, And Watermelon)
Watermelon Salsa
Watermelon Salsa Recipes
Spiked Watermelon Lemonade
Spiked Watermelon Lemonade Recipes
Watermelon Sorbet
Watermelon Sorbet Recipes