Storing Watermelon

Category Storage
Watermelon can be stored in or out of the fridge for varying periods of time. This is a guide about storing watermelon.

I'm going on a picnic and I forgot to get a disposable cooler for my watermelon, which will be cut off the rind and cut into serving size pieces. Do I have to keep watermelon cold? I have two foil pans, 3 empty ice cream buckets and ice.

Jeanette from Detroit, MI

Answers

Best Answer

Unless cut, watermelon is sold from a display.
You can take your watermelon to the picnic whole and not cold.
Cut the rind off and section it at the picnic.

Best Answer

Once watermelon is cut it needs to be refrigerated.

Best Answer

Watermelon always tastes better cold, but I would think if you have it cold, cut if before you leave, it should be OK for awhile. You could always put your containers in a paper bag and put a ziplock bag full of ice on the top. That should keep them fairly cool until serving.

When storing watermelon in a covered container in the refrigerator and a piece of paper towel is placed in the bottom of the container and also on top of the watermelon, what does this do to the watermelon? And is this necessary? I say it dries the watermelon out and takes away the flavor.

Jill from Orange, CA

Answers

We always cut in half width-wise and turn one of the halves upside down on a large solid dinner plate, eating the other half that DAY.

I have NEVER used paper towels, and believe they would only serve to soak up any juice? I'd use more than ONE if that were my purpose. LOL

If not ready to eat it, few believe this, but I actually
kept a whole, uncut, watermelon for six months in the pantry floor with absolutely NO problem. It was a large dark green one and was simply DELICIOUS when we finally cut it....VERY ......CAREFULLY, fearing the WORST, but, much to our surprise, IT WAS FINE!

After cutting, they usually don't last more than a week in the fridge. God's original Garden of Eden
must have SURELY included watermelon because they are my favorite fruit! : )

Hi,

What I do is get a 2 gallon (jumbo) zip bag and cut the watermelon in chunks with out the rind and if I need another one use that too. Freeze or refregerate. Takes up less space than a bowl usually.

How do you store watermelon? My refrigerator is small and I don't have room to store a whole watermelon. Sometimes I cut it in half and scoop out the middle with an ice cream scooper and put it in a ziploc bag but that is very time consuming? Do you have any great ideas?

Onesummer

Answers:

Storing Watermelon

Whenever I lack refrigeration space and need to store watermelon, I cut of the rind off the entire watermelon and cube the flesh. Place it in single serve containers. This works great to add fruit to your lunch or just a quick, handy snack. (06/02/2006)

By Cheryl from Missouri

Storing Watermelon

If you have a freezer. Watermelon can be frozen. I have an ancient cookbook that recommends cubing, or scooping it and covering the cubes with a simple syrup or sugar water. To use-- let it defrost to the point where there are just a few ice crystals left (i.e. very slightly icy). I don't like a lot of sugar and have experimented with covering it with ginger-ale, diet gingerale, diet lemon-lime or diet grapefruit soda. All four work very well. I find that freezing in several shallow containers makes it easier to break or cut a single serving sized chunk off for defrosting. I sometimes break the slabs that are in the containers up into serving size chunks and replace them in the freezer in plastic bags. (06/03/2006)

By Jeanne

Storing Watermelon

I always put mine on top of an air conditioner vent in a room that is less frequently used or a room that has more than one vent! Stays nice and cool and ready to cut! (06/03/2006)

By ncroncrew

Storing Watermelon

I cut mine up into large pieces (no rind) and put in a large plastic bowl with a lid. Drain the juice of every 2 days or so. I have kept it fresh for up to 3 weeks that way. Draining the juice is the secret to it. (06/06/2006)

By reddlb

Storing Watermelon

It seems everybody has the same idea (me too) -- to cut it up and put it into a plastic container but the best thing about this is: the kids can grab a bowl full anytime they want a snack and there no mess left for Mom to clean up! (06/22/2006)

By Bettyboop5382

Storing Watermelon

Something that I read recently on watermelons or any other melons, as a matter of fact is that we need to wash the outsides of our melons just as we would any other produce. As any bacteria on the outside of the rind can go to the inside of the fruit with the knife we're using to cut it open with. Of all the years I've ever eaten watermelon or cantaloupe, etc., I've never washed the outside before eating it, I guess I've really been lucky as I've never gotten sick from eating it. Also, in another article I read on melons, in general, it said not to keep melons or other fruits bagged up or packaged for over a week, in the fridge due to bacterial growth. I didn't know this, either. But then again, in whose house does fresh fruit ever last that long anyway??? At least not here. Yes, draining the juice off of a dish of cut up watermelon is the best way to keep it for a longer period of time, otherwise it tends to get slimy and have a soured taste. (06/29/2006)

By badwater

Storing Watermelon

When I've wanted to freeze watermelon, I've done so by putting down a layer of waxed paper on a plate or cookie sheet, then placing pieces of cut watermelon on it, making sure that the pieces aren't touching. Place it in the freezer. When the melon is frozen solid, then I place them in a gallon sized ziploc bag. By them being like this, they're not all stuck together when I want to take them out of the freezer. This same process can be done with any pieces of fruit, whether it be berries, banana chunks or whatever. This makes it easy for making smoothies or other desserts, or for just a cool snack. Banana chunks are really nice like this, they taste like ice cream! Enjoy! (06/29/2006)

By badwater