Storage Drawer on Stove Wedged Shut

I seriously need some input on how to open a pan storage drawer (the thing @ the bottom) on an electric stove! I have an apartment and it's not my stove.

The lip of a glass baking dish has gotten wedged under the lip of the edge of the door (why the manufacturer would have an disaster waiting to happen opening like that I can't imagine!). I can pull the door open about an inch and a half. I have shaken it, tried to move things around, etc. I have considered breaking the dish, but I can't get far enough inside of it to place a hammer or anything strong enough to break it.

My question is: is there anything on the back of the stove that can be unscrewed, some mystery way to get inside there? I took the oven door off and that helped a bit with access, but not enough. I don't see that I can unscrew much else productively, mainly because of the hinges for the oven door which don't appear to come off. I'd really like to get and use the pans, but I mainly don't want the apartments mad at me.

By Vicki from Dallas, TX

Call the stove Mfg. and ask how they would recommend you get it open. Or take a strong wire hanger (doubled) and bend it to fit in that small opening. See if you can push the glass pan back or down enough to pull the drawer open. I also have one of those drawers. Good Luck, GG Vi

If you are resigned to losing the glass dish, try using a screwdriver as a chisel. Pound the handle end of the screwdriver with a hammer. Those glass dishes are usually pretty tough though.

Try taking a wooden spoon or wedge and fit it under the top edge of the dish or if it's sitting on top of a baking sheet or something else try pushing down on that with the wooden spoon to lower the baking dish below the stove bottom. Good luck.

Update, I got it open. Thanks for your advice. I tried everything, but what finally worked was to pull out the muffin tins under it (one of them I mashed up pretty badly before I tried this). Oddly enough, they came out like magic and then the glass pan just "fell down".

I had this problem with my stove drawer. I got it open by using a long screwdriver to poke at the things under the pan and move them around until the Pyrex baking dish dropped down far enough to get it out. To stop this from happening again, I took the drawer out and replaced it with a Rubbermaid storage drawer on wheels. I put one of those divided silverware drawer inserts upside down inside the empty drawer space to raise the Rubbermaid box to the height where it could slide over the stove frame, so I wouldn't have to lift it in and out, and it works well enough to store my baking pans. Kind of a hassle, but very small kitchen with no storage space!

Home and Garden Repair Appliances Ranges & OvensAugust 2, 2010
Black smooth top cooking range.
Cleaning Spills on a Smooth Top Stove
Smooth Top Stove
Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove
Opening a Stuck Drawer
Opening a Stuck Drawer
Opening Frozen Car Door
Opening a Door That is Frozen Shut
🎉
🎄