Thread Storage Tree

Debra Frick

Here is a nifty gift for the sewer that has everything. This thread tree hangs flat on a wall and can be hung up above a worktable or a sewing machine. It took my husband about 20 minutes to build and it will become a great gift for my friend Susan who does a lot of sewing in her drapery business. For drapes she uses big spools of thread, but for the hand sewing of hems and repairs she always has lots of little spools that she never quite knew how to keep handy. I know this will do the trick. Also if you want to make several check your local cut off bin at Lowe's or Home Depot. I figure this one cost me about a $1.25 to make.

• 1 13 inch piece of 2 by 2 lumber
  • 15 2 1/4 finishing nails
  • 1 eye screw
  • spray paint and trim
  • ribbon

• saw
  • sander
  • drill
  • hammer

1. With a saw, cut a 2x2 into a 13 inch length.
  2. With drill, drill holes 2 1/2 inches apart at a slightly downward angle.
  3. Gently hammer in your nails.
  4. With drill, drill a start hole for your eye screw. Screw in your eye screw.
  5. Next you spray paint and then you can then add a trim to the top or the bottom your choice.
  6. Run your ribbon through the top in your eye screw and you are done.

Wood thread storage tree.

About The Author: Debra Frick is a mother of 5 and a grandmother to 8 grandsons and one granddaughter. She is a published author and poetress. Recycling and saving money are her passions. She also loves crocheting and cooking. She is also a pet rescue volunteer and has many pets of her own.

BOY-OH-BOY! ...I would just LOVE to have about 20 of those for Christmas!!!... <*grin*> Simple, but totally useful!

I'm not kidding when I say, you should make & sell those little gems at Saturday Markets!

A WONDERFUL IDEA! ...& what person who sews wouldn't love to have at least 2 or 3 of them!

I agree! It would make a nice craft item for a saturday flea market. I keep my thread in a Whitman's Sampler tin but this would be a great gift. Do they still teach Home Ec in school? This would be a really terrific idea for a home ec teacher. My Miss Kathleen Dunigan from the 1940s would have loved it.

Actually they would probably sell well on Ebay too.. worth a try!

Its a great idea I will try this. Also we can use a wooden scale (12 inch ruler used in schools) found in most stores in Dhaka and either put in nails or stick hooks with sticky backs and hang other small stuff too.

This is a very creative site and really encourages us to think of alternatives.

This is a great idea for thread. Another idea is to use those metal things for carpet and hang them lengthwise on a wall and set your thread on the ledge.

A nice addition to the bottom would be to attache (with ribbon) a stuffed heart to place your favorite needles, saves having to look for them.

Organizing Sewing Thread
Organizing Sewing Thread
Crafts OtherDecember 24, 2008
Bobbin Thread Keeps Breaking
Bobbin Thread Keeps Breaking
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
Red Sewing Thread
Crocheting With Sewing Thread