Changing Outdoor Cats Bathroom Habits

We had a fair amount of poor weather this past winter in Missouri. My outdoor kitties (all sterilized) have developed a very poor habit of pooping and peeing in the gravel on the machine shed floor. We have lots of woods for them to potty in. There are no doors on the shed to shut them out. How do I break their habit? What can I sprinkle or spray that is inexpensive and hopefully low maintenance until they find a new spot? Their urine is atrocious and stepping in cat poop makes for a bad day (my dogs would disagree). Please send ANY suggestions my way. Thanks so much.

B from Columbia, MO

Bobbi, I made a spot that was special just for Kitty. I got a landscape timber, cut it into four pieces, used wood screws to hold them together to form a wood frame, placed the box on the ground and filled with nice, clean sand. I took my cat there once, I used her paws to scratch the sand, and she was in her glory! It helped to keep her out of all my flower beds and prevented me from digging up any surprises when I was gardening. I don't know how many cats you have, but you may need to make a bigger frame and have more sand.

Bobbie, you need to neutralize the odor to begin

the retraining. White vinegar and baking soda may

help. Then place a litter box away from the gravel

they are pooping on. Try to get it as close to the door

as you can. Hope this helps

How about putting a cat litter box in the room? That may be easier than anything else at this point.

Try cayenne pepper, just sprinkle where the cats are going and along the door, they will get a sniff of it and will be out the door. Just keep the pepper in the shed if needed again.

Cats (and dogs) don't like citrus. Throw orange or lemon peels in the area and they leave it alone. I use my lime sections left over from my iced tea and they do a fine job of keeping the neighbor animals from my flower beds.

Pets CatsFebruary 27, 2007
Cats Fighting
Preventing Cats From Fighting
Cleaning Bathroom Mirrors, Reflection in a mirror of boy drying his hair with a blow dryer.
Cleaning Bathroom Mirrors
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet, Plumber Replacing Bathroom Faucet
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet
White changing table with drawers below.
Uses for a Baby Changing Table