Helping My Husband Change His Eating Habits

Changing your or a family member's eating habits can be a real challenge. This is a guide about helping my husband change his eating habits.

I have tried numerous times to get my hubby to give up sodas, change his eating habits. His cholesterol, blood pressue and weight are getting higher. He is on medication but the problem is he doesn't care for chicken, fish, salads.

I have cleaned out the fridge, cabinets once before and started the American Heart diet cooking for him. I don't like to cook and he works from 3-11 at night. I pack his lunch. But he always migrates back to old habits. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get him to change his tastebuds to eat healthy?

Lisa

Answers

Best Answer

Give him an incentive besides good health. My husband also gained alot of weight, has high cholestral even with medication and could care less about his eating habits. I also used the "Go ahead, make me a young, rich widow." line. What made the difference for him was to have a goal. He has always wanted to see Pearl Harbor. I told him if he wanted to go to Hawaii, he would need to get in shape for all the walking we would be doing. We also wanted to bike down the side of a volcano and hike the national park to swim in a waterfall. In two weeks time he's lost 9 lbs, and 2 inches off his waist. We also go to the gym almost everynight. His mental outlook has completely changed. He's even refused the cakes and treats at the office. He tells them "I've come too far."

Maybe a trip to Hawaii isn't in your future but I'm sure their's something your husband wants that he thought you would never agree to buying. Well, here's your chance to prove to him how serious you are about his health.

Good luck!

My favorite answer to this question is kind of flippant, but it does seem to work. Ask him who his beneficiary is. If he is intent on killing himself, then you must be intent on getting a will made and getting yourself as beneficiary.
It sounds crass, but it does seem to wake most men up to how serious you are about making him take care of himself.

It takes at least 6 weeks to make a change in habit. Keep trying and make sure he gets flavorful food so he doesn't miss the fat.

I understand your plight completely. I am in very much the same situation; my husband had a stroke, and that hasn't been reason enough for him to change his eating habits. I have realized that trying to force him to change is like beating a dead horse (in fact, those are his very words,) so I have resigned myself to attempting to do things little by little. Since my husband is so resistant to the idea of eating vegetables, I make a salad to have with our dinner every night. He gets some vegetables that way. He likes apples, so I try to get him to eat an apple with his lunch on a regular basis. One thing that really works well is putting fruit in jello. He loves jello, and will always go to the refrigerator to get some of that, so I simply put canned fruit in it every time I make it. Use disguises. If your husband likes cheese sauces, make broccoli with a cheese sauce. If your husband likes lasagna, make it with spinach. Try to spike his soda with juice, or a slice of lime. Serve orange juice for breakfast. Put fruit on cereal. I put raisins in oatmeal. Make oatmeal cookies. Oatmeal is great for blood pressure and cholesterol. Give him dried fruit to munch on. It's an easy thing to add to his lunch and you don't have to cook it. Instead of regular chips, give him vegetable chips; they are amazingly tasty, albeit quite expensive. Good luck! I have only been married for a few months (for the first time,) and I know how difficult it is to get a stubborn old guy to change his ways! Don't make a big deal about it either! The less you talk about it and the more you do little things in sneaky ways, the more success you will have!