Seedless Substitute for Tomatoes in Recipes

Category Substitutions
If you have a medical condition that prevents you from eating seeds, substitutions and alternative foods are a part of your daily eating habits. This is a guide about seedless substitutes for tomatoes in recipes.

My mom has a condition that doesn't allow her to eat anything that is a nut or has a seed. She loves tomatoes. I want to make dishes that she can eat. Can I use something like a tomato sauce instead safely for her? And may I please have other recommendations from readers?

By Amy S

Best Answer

One of my relatives has the same condition and was told not to eat any seeds, unless the seeds are removed first. For example you can eat tomatoes if you slice them and and wash off all the seeds under the faucet, for strawberries: peel them off. Sounds like a lot of trouble, but at least it can be done without any need to abstain completely.

Anonymous

If you are cooking from scratch, tomatoes just need an extra step. Cut them open and scoop out all the seeds. If you use a meaty tomato with lots of flesh, like a Roma, It's a lot easier. You can seed zucchini and other squash before cooking in a similar way. I'm familiar with the condition your mom has, and homecooking is definitely the safest. Good luck!