Canning Green Tomatoes

Category Fruit
Green tomatoes are great for canning, whether you can them for frying later or want to make a relish or pickled tomatoes. This is a guide about canning green tomatoes.

This is an easy way to can green tomatoes for frying. It tastes better than freezing tomatoes to fry.

Directions:

Wash and slice the tomatoes about 1/4 inch thick. Pack the tomatoes in the wide mouth jars. Add 1 tsp. of salt to each quart or 1/2 tsp. for each pint. Pour the spring water over the tomatoes leave about 1/4 inch from the top of the jar. Put the lids on and tighten.

Assemble all equipment and utensils. Place boiling water bath canner, filled half full with water, on the stove burner and begin to heat. Place an extra kettle of water on the stove burner in case extra boiling water is needed to cover the jars in the canner. Make sure water in canner is boiling. Place jars in canning rack, then place rack in canner while water is boiling. Place jars far enough apart to allow for circulation of water around jars. Water should be 1 to 2 inches over the tops of the jars when boiling.

Process for 8 - 10 minutes. Begin timing for processing as soon as the water returns to a rolling boil. however, at higher altitudes (over 1,000 feet) you will need to adjust processing times.

The canner should be covered during processing. The hot boiling water should cover the tops of the jars during the entire processing time.

After processing time is completed, remove hot jars and place on a towel or rack to cool. Keep jars out of drafts. DO NOT tun jars upside down. When jars have cooled, check for sealing.

When you get ready to eat the tomatoes, drain water off tomatoes and roll in flour or whatever you use to roll them in. Fry in hot oil, until brown. This won't take to long, the tomatoes is already cooked, you're just browning them.

Eat and enjoy.

Source: My grandmother.

By Branbrumom from Vian, OK

I recently canned green tomato puree using the following method. Is it OK for green tomatoes? Canning Green Tomato Puree Using Quart jars.

Thank you Bob L.

Answers

Anonymous
Best Answer

As long as you're canning to safety specifications I doubt it matters if the canning done is in a quart size jar. I don't use green tomatoes for anything but there are lots of recipes for them out there including puree.

Do I take the skins off the green tomatoes before I can them? I want to make chow chow and need to know before I start this. Anyone out there know?

By Judy

Can green tomato slices, to be used for frying, also be safely pressure canned?

By leemom4

Years ago a neighbor gave me a recipe for canning green tomatoes. I remember that you salted the sliced green tomatoes along with sliced onions and let them sit overnight. Then you rinsed them and packed onions and tomatoes in canning jars. There was a vinegar solution for the tomatoes and you also added oil. Then the tomatoes were processed.

Once cooled you could use the tomatoes on sandwiches. They were delicious. Does anyone have a recipe that sounds similar to this? I would love to make these and use all of our green tomatoes. Thanks.

Chris from Livonia, NY

Answers:

Canning Green Tomatoes

I just googled for the recipes using green tomatoes and I had no problem finding it. Google: canning green tomatoes
THEN when some websites come up, go to recipe websites and then put in the ingredients you are wishing to include.

I made green tomato pickles, using the cherry tomatoes. With the rest of my romas, I made the pints I need to show at the fair next Aug and then have been drying the rest. O-M-G they taste good. Instead of using the dehydrator, I am using a cookie sheet (OLD ONE) covered with foil, a cookie cooling rack on top and then the tomato sections. I sprinkle kosher salt over them in a bowl, shake it around and then spread them on a sheet to dry on 190 to 200 degrees. After a couple hours drying, capture the juice that has dripped in the pan. This is so good for stock.

(10/10/2008)

By T and T Grandma

Canning Green Tomatoes

I always use the large mouth jars, wash and slice the tomatoes, place in jars as if you were stacking them, leave desired space at the top, add 1 tsp salt, fill with cold water just to cover tomatoes. Put lids on, process in pressure canner, 5 pounds pressure for 5 minutes. Allow to cool, store as you would canned goods. To prepare drain tomatoes (handle carefully they are fragile) roll in cornmeal, and fry slices as you would fresh green tomatoes. GOOD! (10/11/2008)

By GenW

Canning Green Tomatoes

Chris from Livonia, that sounds similar to a recipe that I use for hot peppers. Soak them overnight in 1 gal. water and 1 cup table salt. Add to quart jars 2-3 gloves garlic, pinch of alum, 1/2-1 tsp. Italian seasoning mix and 2-3 Tbsp. good veg oil or canola oil. Then pack with peppers or tomatoes. Make solution of 1 gal. water, 1 cup pickling salt and 1 cup cider vinegar, bring to boil. Add to jars with peppers or tomatoes all ready in them. Process hot water bath for 10 minutes for quart jars, 5 minutes for pint jars. Hope this helps. (06/28/2009)

By DawnMM