Canning Green Beans

0
Share
Save
Follow
Print
Canning fresh green beans from your garden or those you purchased on sale at the grocery is easy and inexpensive to do. Follow a few easy step by step instructions below and you can become an expert at canning. This is a page about canning green beans.

12 Solutions

The beans will not get soggy when you cook them.

• 2 gallons broken and washed green beans
  • 1 1/3 cups white vinegar
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • scant (not quite) 1/2 cup salt

Directions:

Put the broken and washed green beans in a pot and bring them to a boil.

Add the vinegar, sugar, and salt. Bring back to a boil and boil for 30 minutes.

Pack in hot jars, cover with hot lids and rings. No need for a water bath.

When you're ready to cook them, pour the brine off, rinse the beans good, then pour them in a boiler and add a quart of water. Season as you like.

Servings: about 4
Prep Time: 1 Hours
Cooking Time: about 1 Hours

Source: This was my grandmother's recipe.

By Paula Summerlin from Kosciusko, MS

• 3 lbs. tender young green beans
  • 2 tsp. red pepper
  • 6-12 cloves garlic peeled
  • fresh dill weed or 2 tsp. dried dill weed
  • 3 cups water
  • 3 cups vinegar
  • 6 Tbsp. salt

Directions:

This will make 6 pints. Wash beans removing ends. Cut into uniform lengths and pack in hot jars standing upright. To each jar add some red pepper, 1-2 cloves of garlic and a large spry of fresh dill or a portion of dried dill.

Bring water, vinegar, and salt to boil in saucepan. Pour liquid over beans leaving 1/2 inch space from the top of the jar. Place tightened lids on jars and process in a boiling water bath for five minutes. Remove jars and let cool.

Source: mother

By Sandy from Graettinger, IA

Once green beans become ripe on the vine, they need picked and preserved. Picking goes on for days as a new crop appears. If you have your own garden, you can pick and can until you are sick of green beans and still have plenty to give away.

fresh green beans

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I will be canning green beans in a regular canning pot, not a pressure cooker. Do you do as you would with a pressure cooker? Then how long do you need to cook them?

By Mary R.

Answers

You will have to google the topic to find out the time you have to have the jars of green beans in the hot water bath. The time is bound to be longer than in a pressure cook. When I was younger I did all of my cooking in the hot water bath. It has been so long since I did any canning that I don't have any idea about the time length. I don't know if it is an old wive's take or the truth, but I was always told that green beans can go bad really easily if not canned properly.

Foods that are not naturally high in acid are not safe to can using a hot water bath canner. This includes most vegetables (tomatoes are on the fence with this one so adding a little lemon juice to each jar makes them safe) and definitely green beans.
If you want to preserve your green beans but dont have access to a pressure canner you could pickle them. Processing beans (and other low acid vegetables) in a vinegar brine makes them safe for hot water bath canning.

Answer this Question

I am canning green beans, if my beans are hot when I put them in the jars and they seal before I put them in the pressure canner; do I have to pressure cook them?

By MJ

Answers

Yes! Contact your local extension office website for the proper method!

Yes, you still do. The beans don't really 'seal' when you put them in the jars and apply the rings, it is just the heat causing a small vacuum, enough to seem like they seal.

They still need to be further processed. Jams and jellies do the same thing when put into jars.

Answer this Question

How long do I cook green beans in a pressure canner and at what pressure?

By Betty

Answers

This is a very helpful website for all things canning.

http://www.pickyourown.org

Here is the page for canning green beans.

www.pickyourown.org/canninggreenbeans.htm

Answer this Question

I recently water bathed green beans for 45 minutes. Can I reboil them for the remainder of the time needed?

By Rhonda

Answer this Question

I need to know if I freeze my garden snap green beans now can i pressure can them later? I am waiting for my replacement pressure regulator to come thru the mail and my beans are coming on now!

By Jo

Answer this Question

How do I can green beans?

By Robin E. from Hillsboro, OR

Answer this Question

Don't take a chance if your beans are not proccessed for the correct amount of time as botulism is very dangerous and difficult to detect. This is a page about under processed canned green beans.

Canned Green Beans

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a page about canning pickled green beans. Home canned pickled green beans will be a special treat after the gardening season ends.

Several jars of yellow and green beans with spices ready to be processed

This is a page about preventing canned green beans from getting mushy. After you have spent hours canning your garden produce it is very disappointing to find that the green beans are mushy.

Green beans from a can against a white background

Food and Recipes CanningNovember 3, 2011
🌻
🐛
👔
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf99243234.tip.html