Canning Green Tomatoes

This is an easy way to can green tomatoes for frying. It tastes better than freezing tomatoes to fry.

• green tomatoes ( you can also use tomatoes that are turning pink)
  • Ad

• canning salt
  • spring water
  • wide mouth jars

Directions:

Wash and slice the tomatoes about 1/4 inch thick. Pack the tomatoes in the wide mouth jars. Add 1 tsp. of salt to each quart or 1/2 tsp. for each pint. Pour the spring water over the tomatoes leave about 1/4 inch from the top of the jar. Put the lids on and tighten.

Assemble all equipment and utensils. Place boiling water bath canner, filled half full with water, on the stove burner and begin to heat. Place an extra kettle of water on the stove burner in case extra boiling water is needed to cover the jars in the canner. Make sure water in canner is boiling. Place jars in canning rack, then place rack in canner while water is boiling. Place jars far enough apart to allow for circulation of water around jars. Water should be 1 to 2 inches over the tops of the jars when boiling.

Process for 8 - 10 minutes. Begin timing for processing as soon as the water returns to a rolling boil. however, at higher altitudes (over 1,000 feet) you will need to adjust processing times.

The canner should be covered during processing. The hot boiling water should cover the tops of the jars during the entire processing time.

After processing time is completed, remove hot jars and place on a towel or rack to cool. Keep jars out of drafts. DO NOT tun jars upside down. When jars have cooled, check for sealing.

When you get ready to eat the tomatoes, drain water off tomatoes and roll in flour or whatever you use to roll them in. Fry in hot oil, until brown. This won't take to long, the tomatoes is already cooked, you're just browning them.

Eat and enjoy.

Source: My grandmother.

By Branbrumom from Vian, OK

Hello, I just wanted to thank you so much for the Canning Green Tomatoes. Last fall we had to pick our back yard green tomatoes because of a pending freeze, he picked 4 five gallon buckets of green tomatoes. I did not know what to do, I have canned for 45 years but never thought of canning green tomatoes. We had them all winter and just like fresh! Thank you again.

Christine

Editor's Note: This feedback was emailed in by someone who is not yet a member.

How long do these safely store since there is no acid like vinegar?

I haven't canned green tomatoes in 20 years. I used to give everyone at work 2 quarts for Christmas.
I remember adding salt, alum, and an aspirin because of the low acid content. It was a recipe of an older woman with a bunch of boys that liked the fried green tomatoes. I always thought I would remember, but I'm pushing 70 and can't remember.
I can't find a recipe using the aspirin. I know my tomatoes stayed firm and didn't mush up or fall apart. I'm trying to find the aspirin strength.

Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.